VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Psychologist not reporting

Rate this question

jamesriley1990

Question

Reluctantly I have been seeking treatment at the VA for my PTSD.  I was reading over the notes of my psychologist and she did a PTSD screening of me and she is misreporting or not reporting things that I stated during our last session. I told her that I was having nightmares about being in the military and that all I could remember was I was feeling scared and angry and during recent events, I felt as if I was reliving my past experiences. What can I do in this situation? 

• HadIt.com Elder

This is News to me  because VA use to would not accept a private Dr Diagnose for PTSD,   that was the No. one denial reason .

so if this is all true

I guess I accept crow on this one.

One other thing  is that combat veterans don't need to tell about their stressor's  if they  have proof they were actually in combat  by morning reports MOS  special orders ect,,ect,,and documented combat records.

unless this has changed ?

The VA can & will find out if your an actual combat veteran....

• HadIt.com Elder

J

YOU NEED TO CONFRONT THIS THERAPIST ABOUT THINGS NOT MENTION IN YOUR SESSIONS...if something was not said   then next time you see her ask her/him about it   and ask for a  /Amendment/Clarification    that you do not want things in your medical records that was not said to you or to you in person  put into your medical records.

They can't take out was was mention in your records  but they can clarify it. 

6 hours ago, Buck52 said:

would not accept a private Dr Diagnose for PTSD,

this is crux of this discussion. The "diagnosis" was never the restriction it is the C&P and DBQ that the VA must do. Unlike other conditions (spine, SA, etc) where the VA can just accept your private doctors opinion and tests, a C&P for PTSD has to be held.

They will "accept" anything you submit. How much credence they give it is a different story.

When your private Dr. says "bob has ptsd" and does a DBQ the VA is still going to give you a C&P and fill out their own DBQ. If they differ the rater has to then decide if they are going to ignore your evidence and medical reports. The VA seems to lose a lot of those situations but the raters still try it.

as for 1st year out of service,  and combat veterans, there is still a presumption of service connection.  A Vet with a Purple Heart is not going to have to prove stressor events like a non-combat PTSD vet. That said just because someone was in a combat unit does not mean they have stressor events or PTSD, so some type of nexus has to be documented.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think its just a matter of judgment or the decision makers are have a bad day.

Because I am a Vietnam combat veteran and have CIB on my DD 214 Plus other awards and ribbons from my Unit in Vietnam...I had to prove my stressor's in my claim for PTSD , most of us that was awarded the PH gave it away to the family's of the combat veterans that lost their life (enough said about that.)

Anyway I had to send them all my records of evidence  dates and locations of the conflict zone and the names of the operations I was choose to be in from my company commander, some of these records I had and some I didn't   but after they checked the dates locations and my unit commander I was Approved,

They Just wanted to make it hard for me   but I am an old Vietnam Grunt and it maybe different now  about the Gulf Wars Proving your combat duty?

.but my point is I had to prove to them my stressors   which caused me a lot of stress and anxiety doing so.

SO BACK TO THERAPY.

• HadIt.com Elder

Geekysquid

On second thought I stand by what I mention about  it has to be from a VA DR to diagnose a veteran for PTSD for compensation purposes .

As matter fact there's just to many VA Dr that work for the VA that reluctantly fill out a DBQ Form or refused to fill one out.(Its not their job) is the lame excuse they use   as for as my experience anyway.

I agree with you about who can fill one out because the Dr can fill it out but its their decision rather or not they fill it out.

most VA Dr's Will not fill out a DBQ...Some will but the odds that they do is stacked against the Veteran.

if you had a VA Dr fill out your PTSD  DBQ then consider your self very lucky  because most Veterans can't get their VA M.H. Doc or even a MD/or  VA M.H. psychiatrist  to fill one out.  Most say its not their job,  go see the DAV or Hire a VSO to help you.

Edited by Buck52

16 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

diagnose a veteran

again our disagreement is over the term diagnose. The C&P is not a diagnosis, it is a review of the facts and legal determination if the PTSD is related to service. NO MORE.

Actually being diagnosed with PTSD can happen anywhere by any qualified doctor including those that don't work for the VA.

The reality is when a veteran puts in a claim for PTSD, the VA does NOT look at it to see if a VA DOCTOR is the one who DIAGNOSED the PTSD.

They look at the file to see if the elements to support the claim are enough to proceed with the claim and put the Vet in for a C&P to review the records and find out if they support Service Connection. This is not a medical diagnosis.

Vets are not FORCED to go to VA Mental Health and get treatment.

Vets frequently do use VA Mental Health services but are not FORCED to just to process the claim.

If you have a link to a law or regulation that explicitly states a veteran MUST have the VAMC Mental Health Program DIAGNOSE PTSD before a claim for Service Connected Compensation can be awarded please provide it.

I will happily change my statement if you provide that link.