VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Psychologist not reporting

Rate this question

jamesriley1990

Question

Reluctantly I have been seeking treatment at the VA for my PTSD.  I was reading over the notes of my psychologist and she did a PTSD screening of me and she is misreporting or not reporting things that I stated during our last session. I told her that I was having nightmares about being in the military and that all I could remember was I was feeling scared and angry and during recent events, I felt as if I was reliving my past experiences. What can I do in this situation? 

10 hours ago, vetquest said:

Only the VA can diagnosis PTSD.  Until they do you do not have a leg to stand on. 

In your treatment you need to tell the doctor exactly what happened, even if you do not want to.  If the doctor is not putting in your records what you are saying you need to speak to the doctor in a mild mannered way and ask them why.  Never raise your voice or become frustrated, it is a losing proposition.  I know this because I have been there, frustrated and angry.  I had a doctor walk out of a session and say I threatened him.  It was not a happy experience.  It all goes into your records forever.

Its just frustrating because I liked my private psychologist and he taught me alot of coping mechanisms so even though it didnt fix anything I learned to manage it. So now that I am going to the VA I tend not to bring it up and it shows that its biting me in the ass. I even asked her to request my private medical records and read a letter my private psychologist wrote for me and she refused both requests

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe they only require a VA Dx for PTSD     you can seek private treatment.  if you have the $$ or good Insurance.

An update I contacted my psychologist and told her my concerns about the screening she did and asked her to review my private psychologist records and she was open to discussing what she wrote down.

• Lead Moderator
On 4/8/2019 at 12:13 PM, Buck52 said:

I believe they only require a VA Dx for PTSD     you can seek private treatment.  if you have the $$ or good Insurance.

I go to the vet center here in Omaha, and I have gotten far better help from practical help.  Also they are funded by the government, but independent of the VA.