VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Psychologist not reporting

Rate this question

jamesriley1990

Question

Reluctantly I have been seeking treatment at the VA for my PTSD.  I was reading over the notes of my psychologist and she did a PTSD screening of me and she is misreporting or not reporting things that I stated during our last session. I told her that I was having nightmares about being in the military and that all I could remember was I was feeling scared and angry and during recent events, I felt as if I was reliving my past experiences. What can I do in this situation? 

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with John999

don't let them delf back into your past pre military...

let your service records do the work, and prove your claim  with the evidence thats in your records

• HadIt.com Elder

Back in the  1980's I filed for an increase for my mental health disability.  The shrink I saw very skillfully lead me into talking about my childhood and high school etc.   I had a rugged younger life and I was not a 100% advertisement for mental health, but I was not suffering from PTSD symptoms and all the other aspects from serving in a combat zone.  When I got my rating decision I was denied an increase from just 10%.  I was lucky that I had 10 years of a 10% rating or the VA would probably had terminated my total rating due to the horrendous C&P exam I had.    The way he twisted my words I sounded like a career criminal.  So as Buck and others have said avoid talking about the past or the future and focus on your military service and symptoms you are having directly related to your VA disability.  I may be repeating myself but the VA can take a sentence and use it to dispute a 5 page IMO that seeks to grant you a higher level of disability.  I know because they did it to me.  The VA is really not a place to discuss your deepest thoughts and feelings.  When you ask for compensation you enter a different ball game beyond just treatment.

13 hours ago, shrekthetank1 said:

Did these assaults happen before or during your time in the service?

Remember the Military Bought you the way you were if these events happened before service!  

My event may or may not help you, but it is relevant to me and my PTSD.  I was born into a Polygamist cult.  It was and still is the largest in the world.  I bring this up because it was traumatic and I never understood how it affected every day of my life.  When I got accepted into the military they never asked a single question about my past and I am not blaming them for what happened to me.  

Anyway fast forward I spent the better part of 2003/2004 in Iraq and saw/participated in some challenging things to witness.  So both of these play a huge part in my mental health and they are linked.  I had an IMO done for this which showed how bad it was and how and what the triggers are.  

I don't talk a lot about my past here, just remember you are one whole person all the events in our lives shape us for who we are and what we want to be.  We are here to help you and at the end of the day we all served and this will hopefully be our last long battle we have.   

The assaults happened in the beginning of service

• Lead Moderator
11 hours ago, john999 said:

Shreck

Your past before the service is something you don't really want to bring up or dwell on when trying to establish a service connected disability.  The VA has a tendency to look back at your unusual past and try to say that these pre-service events are what has been the major factor in your PTSD.   These pre-service events are fine for therapy or treatment from a non-VA source.  The VA in my day at least was apt to look at a person's past and make a diagnosis of a personality disorder instead of a genuine mental health issue like PTSD.  This is why I say focus entirely on your military service.  If you were exposed to horrendous events in the military this is what counts.  Like you say the military accepted you as you were.  You did not get a major psychiatric exam to determine your mental state before enlistment.  In my time they drafted guys if they had a pulse.  After the person had a breakdown due to stress the army would say you had a pre-existing disorder and the fact you were exposed to combat had nothing to do with it.  I experienced all this crap back in the early 70's after Vietnam and I don't think the VA and military have really moved on since then.  They do want to minimize any compensation they award with these phony PTSD cures.

John,

I do not disagree with what you are saying.  The only reason I bring this up is because I was already rated for PTSD before I ever talked about my past to my doctor.  The Doc said she was many triggers where PTSD would affect the other trauma.  She stated the IMO in this way.  I am currently in front of the board for an increase.  She said this had been something she dealt with before and did have a positive outcome.  

I rolled the dice with it and should find out soon if it worked or not.

Yes stay focused on your military service to get your PTSD connection!    

• HadIt.com Elder

So you are trying to get an increase for your existing PTSD claim?  I did not get that before.  Only the VA can diagnose PTSD for compensation purposes but I think IMO doctor should be able to say it is getting worse.  So you have had a C&P exam lately?  I would say for that study the DBQ for PTSD.   These VA guys do have check list they follow.  Establishing the initial PTSD claim is the hard part IMO.

28 minutes ago, john999 said:

So you are trying to get an increase for your existing PTSD claim?  I did not get that before.  Only the VA can diagnose PTSD for compensation purposes but I think IMO doctor should be able to say it is getting worse.  So you have had a C&P exam lately?  I would say for that study the DBQ for PTSD.   These VA guys do have check list they follow.  Establishing the initial PTSD claim is the hard part IMO.

This is where I am at with my claim. I was denied only based on lack of diagnosis, but my diagnosis came from a private doctor and I have been pending decision for about 2 months straight with no C&P exam ordered and this is on my reconsideration of the decision. My PTSD claim was initially filed in October of 2018