VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MMR (measles) vaccine in boot camp started it

Rate this question

Wanderer

Question

With all the current concern over measles vaccines and all, it dawned on me this morning that my 30% asthma problems started in boot camp when I came down with measles from their vaccination. And now the VA is deciding on my claim of sleep apnea secondary to asthma. The OSA caused brain damage when the asthma and its debilitating cough (roommates had moved out because I coughed so loud and often at night) was rampant and I haven't been able to work since Sept 2017.

I'm now pondering the implications of it all starting with the boot camp MMR vaccination.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I doubt I did. I told my sleep apnea C&P examiner the above scenario minus the vaccination, so he may have done something with it. I think I can bring it up on Healthevet. I will try to find his report.

Your question is very complex.  As an asthmatic with COPD and Sleep apnea ( all rated as one condition) I understand the concern. I  don't understand how you could get brain damage with sleep apnea unless your brain wasn't getting the required amount of oxygen. My best advise would be for you to seek a independent medical opinion. Getting sleep apnea secondary to Asthma is hard enough ,  but trying to prove the asthma was caused by an MMR injection may be close to impossible.  Since your already rated for the asthma it really doesn't matter what caused it anyway.

Best to you on your sleep apnea claim, if awarded be prepared for it to be combined with your asthma rating.  The rating will be based on the worst of the two conditions. In other words if your rated 30% for asthma and 50% for sleep apnea due to cpap use, your rating would be  50% the higher of the two separate ratings. The VA does not award stand alone ratings for lung  diseases,  even knowing sleep apnea is not a lung disease, they still consider it as such for rating purposes.