VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary condition??

Rate this question

pattimelt

Question

I was diagnosed as needing a total knee replacement on my RIGHT knee when I was 34 or 35 years old.  At that time, the docs told me I would have to wait until at least age 50 to get the surgery because "they only want to do it once."  Fast forward to last April, when at 54, my surgery was finally done. 

Starting last November, I started having pain in my lower back on my left side.  After xrays and an MRI, it was discovered that not only is my left leg was now 3/4" SHORTER than my surgically repaired leg, and that I have "pars defects" in my L2, and my L3 is "uncovered".  No doctor YET has told me what either of those terms means.  I was seen by a doc in Physical Therapy who told me that this was related to the length of time between diagnosis and surgery, but I find no mention of this in my medical records that I have access to thru the "blue button". 

I filed a claim for secondary condition, and I am scheduled to meet with a doctor in the pain management clinic in May, with my C & P exam the week after. 

What do I need to do to prove that these problems are related, and do I have to get either my pain doc or my primary care doc to include that in my medical records before I go to my claim exam? 

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Lets start with the defination:

Pars Defect: defination: 

Spondylolysis is derived from the Greek word spondylo, which means vertebrae, and lysis, which means fracture. Spondylolysis is defined as a defect in the parsinterarticularis of the vertebral arch. Often, it is described in association with spondylolisthesis, which can be found concurrently with spondylolysis.

Now, as always, you need TWO things for Secondary service connection:

(Caluza element 2, in service event, is not needed for secondary):

1.  Current diagnosis (by a doctor) of pars or spondylolysis.

2.  Nexus, or doctor statment that your pars is "at least as likely as not" due to your SC knee condion(s).