VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing eval. question for increase

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

Ok I know the hearing thing has been knocked around a bunch. I have read many posts and still can't figure out my next move. I just had a hearing test yesterday at Mass Eye and Ear (the top dogs around here). All my hearing appts are done down there at the request of the VA because i've been diagnosed with bilateral Menieres. I am SC 20% for bilateral hearing loss. My test shows a word recognition of 16% in my right ear and 54% in my left ear. I have severe hearing loss in my left ear and profound in my right ear. I am going for a Cochlear Implant eval as soon as they make my appointment and then i'll schedule surgery and figure out all those other issues with healing and relearning how to hear in that ear.  My question is should i file for an increase now or wait until after surgery? The chart they gave me i really don't know how to read to put in the hearing test calculator. Thanks for any thoughts. 

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually give his opinion  ( some Dr's are reluctantly to fill out a DBQ ).

So as long as the Dr words it  as in his professional opinion and things like test numbers show a certain amount of hearing loss  from his last test giving by the VA  ''It is in my pro opinion &  from my Audiologist   that is registered and license to perform hearing test  and followed the Hearing testing set forth by the VA,  his hearing loss is much worse than the VA Records show And show  the chart from the test . ect,,ect,,, D'r's know how to write up a good opinion..and yes let them know ahead  that you are trying to get S.C. and rated with the VA.

Most Dr's Will do this.

Its worth a try. I have no idea when I am going to see this doctor again. I need to get my audiology reports from the VA and I can compare them. I am waiting for the Mass Eye and Ear people to call me back for the CI implant eval. I think that is the next time I see them. Its really a pain that its 2 hours away sometimes more with traffic and I lose a whole day of work every appt. This hospital is the best on the east coast and appts are usually a couple months out so we'll see. If I have both reports and they are very different then I'll need him to see them first hand a make a report. Regardless after a CI the right side will be deaf without the unit on. Not looking forward to that. Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

I would do this asap  if you appeal you can use the private doc opinion and test to reflute the VA Audiology reports

However its better to wait for a decision first before you  see these private Dr's especially   if the VA is paying  for Mass Eye & Ear  (For your C'&P?) I would check around for another repeatable ENT Office

with your hearing test showing severe hearing in your right ear and profound hearing loss in your left ear  along with a bad word discrimination score  I would say you should get  an increase ...depending on what your rated now for your hearing loss?

I was  rated 50%  for my hearing loss , tinnitus  was denied and  my hearing  got worse over the years so I filed for increase  and they gave me 10%for tinnitus and a 30 %increase making my rating at a combined rate at 90%  and was inferred the TDIU P&T 

I AM COMPLETE DEAF WITHOUT MY HEARING AIDS ON  I CAN HEAR SOUNDS BUT THAT'S ALL IT IS  IS SOUNDS ,  EVEN WHEN PEOPLE TALK ITS JUST SOUNDS TO ME.

I use pretty good hearing aids  some of the best VA has to offer and they are expensive ,  but I still have problems understanding what most people say..if I am in a closed room no fans or anything running  I can hear one on one fairly good if they speak up , but in a room full of people talking and carrying on..I am a duck out of water..can't understand a darn thing  and this  is very frustrating.

I too was ask to go to a CI Evaluation and I turned that down..they are not going to cut my damn ears off and thats exactly what they do....>   oh they do sew them back on.  its just not for me  but for some its good,  I believe if someone is born deaf  then sure why not try the CI's.

I have a rating of 20% right now for hearing loss. Clearly being Profound in my right ear and in need of a CI is worth more than that. My good ear is Severe-severe, right on the edge of profound. I can't have any type of conversation without my aids in. They are actually going to try a stronger receiver in my right ear next week but that won't help with my 16% word recognition. Yes one on one in a quiet room is doable and even then people need to repeat themselves if they talk to fast. Every phone call on speaker and ifs its someone with a long voice forget about it the speakers don't go high enough. Very difficult to get through a work day trying so hard to understand. By the time I get home i am exhausted and its hard to help my kids with home work i just want to go to bed. (I know I sound like a whining baby but its been years of this and it has beaten me up) The only time of peace without the ringing and roaring is when I am a sleep. I'm hoping at my DAV appt. on Monday I will be filed before leaving his office. If not then I'll file everything on my own. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Riplip

Hang in there brother; we are all pulling for you. If the VSO isn't doing the job, and you feel you need help rather than doing it yourself, there are people out there that can help you. Ask your friends for recommendations, ask questions and get comfortable. But make sure you don't miss any VA deadlines. But work on it; it isn't going to get done by itself if you need a new advocate. 

Edited by GBArmy
typo