VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing eval. question for increase

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

Ok I know the hearing thing has been knocked around a bunch. I have read many posts and still can't figure out my next move. I just had a hearing test yesterday at Mass Eye and Ear (the top dogs around here). All my hearing appts are done down there at the request of the VA because i've been diagnosed with bilateral Menieres. I am SC 20% for bilateral hearing loss. My test shows a word recognition of 16% in my right ear and 54% in my left ear. I have severe hearing loss in my left ear and profound in my right ear. I am going for a Cochlear Implant eval as soon as they make my appointment and then i'll schedule surgery and figure out all those other issues with healing and relearning how to hear in that ear.  My question is should i file for an increase now or wait until after surgery? The chart they gave me i really don't know how to read to put in the hearing test calculator. Thanks for any thoughts. 

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My wife is going to call Mass Eye and Ear (I can't even get through a phone conversation to request on my own) to have them send me the results of the audiology report spelling out the puretone thresholds and hertz so I can try to decipher the VA rating chart. The paperwork they gave me only gives me a graph i don't understand and the word recognition. I am also going to go to the VA and request my 2018 Audiology test so i can compare them. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Riplip

I had thought you did your  hearing loss C&P From Mass Eye and Ear???

was your C&P done at the VA Audiology?

if yes  then yes get your test from Mass Eye & Ear

remember they check all Puretone threshold average,” as used in Tables VI and VIa, is the sum of the puretone thresholds at 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 Hertz, divided by four. This average is used in all cases (including those in §4.86) to determine the Roman numeral designation for hearing impairment from Table VI or VIa.

check CFR 38 4.85 Scroll on down until you find the chart they use...I am not sure how they use this  chart  table VI or VIa ?

member broncovet can chime in  I think he knows how to use this chart.

I;m sure the Mass Eye& Ear can figure it out.

Edited by Buck52

Yes my C&P was done at the VA in NH for my 20% rating last year. Now that my hearing has gotten to the point of needing a CI and my vestibular disorder is now to the point of Meneieres disease they sent me to Mass Eye and Ear for further workup above the VA capabilities through the community care program. I have the C & P exam notes but it doesn't show any of the hertz breakdowns and the Mass Eye and Ear doesn't either. So I am trying to obtain those to compare them at the moment. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that!  However  VA should show it ,this is how they determine a rating.

I can't find where they show it so i can cross reference it. Not the best at navigating things in the system. Suck at phone calls so i'll go in and face to face someone on it haha.

• HadIt.com Elder

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2011-title38-vol1/pdf/CFR-2011-title38-vol1-sec4-85.pdf

You check with elder member and hadit Moderator broncovet

I think he knows how to read the chart hearing chart...sorry I don't know how they do it either.?

any private Audiologist would be happy to read them I would think and do some comparing.

Edited by Buck52