VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fixing an error on my PTSD Stressor Statement

Rate this question

Gentry81

Question

I have been learning a lot on the hadit forums over the past few months. I have learned quite a bit and I wish I would have found this site 10 years ago. 

I filed a claim about a week ago and I just realized that I made an error on the date of my stressor statement. I always remember the date I started my shift which was 17 January 1991 so that is the date I put down.

I just realized that the stressful event happened later on in my shift and the date was actually 18 January 1991. 

Is there a way to correct this date before my claim moves farther through the process by submitting another statement with the correction?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Good question.  My first thought it wont matter.  However, VA LOOOOVES to "create glitches" whenever possible.  

My take on this is to send in a 21-4138 of your statement.  My suggestion:

RE:  Stressor date correction.  

I initially reported the stressor date as 17 Jan 1991.  However, I had a long shift that extended into the following day on 18 Jan 1991.  The stressor actually occured on the 18th of January 1991, as it occurred after midnite.  

Kindly correct these records for me.  

Signed:

Ima Veteran  dated April 12, 2019.  

Its my opinion the VA will ignore your 21-4138.  However, if this issue raises its ugly head down the road, you have documention that you explained it occurred on the 18.  

This may be necessary if others reported your "in service event" on the following day.  CYA

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think it will matter on this dates   if your stressor happen a day later...they should check on the date and location of the event that happen  were there the stressor/event happen..thats basically all you need to prove.  they give a 10 day interval on events   so in my opinion your close enough.

all they need to know is that the event happen that caused your stressor. and if you were in combat   it should be on your DD 214 the name and  location of your unit  and dates  the event happen   they will consead your stressor's.

• HadIt.com Elder

The only thing about sending a correction is rather or not they read it

if your DD 214 Has your CIB and the location and dates of your unit  and narrowing it down to with in one day  that should be enough  you can use the consead of the stressor as for as worrying bout they believe you have stressors.

I would just use what you submitted   because some of these VA Employees have a tend to screw up our claims by not reading.

Thanks for your quick response. I was also thinking that it wouldn't matter but I thought it would be worth correcting if possible. They are known to get hung up on this type of thing for sure!

Your example is clear and to the point and I was thinking about doing something like this but I wasn't sure how to word it. 

I do believe that they will ignore it but it's worth putting in the record anyway. Fortunately, my DBQ and Nexus letter did not have a specific date and I have no additional supporting statements referring to that date. 

Thanks again for your time.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have proof the stressor event happened and that you were exposed to it?  When I was in Vietnam I remember cowering in a bunker as tracer rounds whizzed over my head and also seeing dead bodies but some of  these events were so common I can't even remember the dates or who was with me.  I thought the whole 12 months might be a stressor but I was wrong according to the VA.    

@john999 I have quite a few experiences myself but I decided to narrow it down to only my experience with the start of Desert Storm and another event that I specifically witnessed. Those two events can also be backed up by historical data and news reports.  

@Buck52 I agree and the details of the stressor combined with my DD214 both back up my claim. The fact that I am off by a day should not make much of a difference. It is hard to tell what the VA is going to get hung up on which is why I asked for advice. 

Thank you both for your input.