VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva dependent education benefits ???

Rate this question

Shellback-

Question

We are trying to get My Son enrolled in College before His 18th BD and are wondering how much this will pay how it is set up ? We pay first He passes classes then They fund a certain $ for full time and if any room n board or ? what else this could include for Him-    Thank You Patrick .

6 answers to this question

Your son or daughter, if you are 100 percent P and T, (and, therefore eligible for DEA Ch. 35) should get 1224.00 per month, while in school full time.  Source:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rates/ch35/ch35rates100118.asp

I dont think its changed, your son should be able to continue with his/her education up to at least age 23.  Your son or daughter will need to "remain in good standing" at the school, which means they attend classes (and probably pass at least most of them).  

If he or she gets put on probation at the school (such as if they have poor attendance or poor grades), this can jeaprodize their Ch. 35 benefits, so they should attend classes, and do the assigned work, and turn in the papers as required.  

This is a HUGE benefit, my sent went to school on it.  They also need to be making progress toward their degree.  

In other words if they sign up for Pre Med, then they take basketball, weight lifting, marriage and family, and sign language, that wont be progressing toward the degree.  Each degree has specific required courses, and the student must take those classes in order to be progressing toward the degree sought after.  On the downside, you wont be able to claim him/her as dependent WHILE (s)he is collecting Chapter 35 benefits, so your check could probably go down the amount of the dependent benefit.  (Some where around 80 bucks a month.)  

Edited by broncovet
add more.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

My daughter is in college and takes advantage of CHAMPVA. It really is a great service. In my opinion, veterans should also be made eligible. It's a lot more convenient than driving to the hospital downtown or having to wait for treatment or community approval.

Champva is the health insurance for dependents, DEA (Dependendents Educational Assistance) aka known as Chapter 35, is the one our kids can go to school on.  Your dependents should get BOTH of these when you are awarded 100 percent P and T.  

I agree with Vync, Vets ought to get Champva also.  Welcome back, Vync, glad to hear you are better.  Many prayed for you.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
On 4/17/2019 at 10:11 AM, broncovet said:

Champva is the health insurance for dependents, DEA (Dependendents Educational Assistance) aka known as Chapter 35, is the one our kids can go to school on.  Your dependents should get BOTH of these when you are awarded 100 percent P and T.  

I agree with Vync, Vets ought to get Champva also.  Welcome back, Vync, glad to hear you are better.  Many prayed for you.  

Thanks @broncovet, I'm taking things slow.

I wanted to add that in addition to CHAMPVA benefits, it is worth checking with your state to see if your dependents who are in college may qualify for additional benefits like free/reduced cost tuition or books.

Edited by Vync