VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU Income questions

Rate this question

LanceJoseph

Question

Hello All, 

Let me start by saying that I was recently granted TDIU, I'm a young guy in my early 30's and I am currently in Voc Rehab and finishing out a bachelors program.  Working with my green team care providers I've been told that I am not yet ready to try for full employment. The issue I'm having is that while I work on myself mentally I would like to pursue a masters program to make myself more competitive and a more well-rounded applicant when the time comes that I can return to the workforce.  There are two issues I'm running into regarding my TDIU status. 

1. The program I am interested in requires 800 minimum PAID patient care hours to even apply for the program. So I would have to lose my TDIU to even try? I was told to contact my RO to possibly facilitate a sheltered part-time work program, or at the very least let my situation be known.  Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.  

2. I recently inherited two properties from a family member and they are rentals, After speaking to a gentleman on VA's 1800 number I was told that rentals are counted towards gainful employment whether or not they are managed by me or not, ( I do not manage them, there were tenants already living there upon my possession of the properties).  They don't bring in much in the way of profit so are they worth keeping if they jeopardize my TDIU. 

Overall I am very blessed to receive my IU rating but I still want to get better and push myself to do more and be more than I currently am, The rating itself has allowed me to spend more time working on continuing my education but more importantly overcoming some issues that have plagued me for many years. Any advice or guidance or even constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated , Thank you and have a wonderful day 

Semper Fi

I misspoke on my previous post, They didn't completely phase out the 4140 but as seen above the 4140 will ONLY be sent to those who go over the poverty threshold reported by the SSA.  

Edited by LanceJoseph

• HadIt.com Elder

Lance you are correct my friend  and I understand what you mean here. this was explain to me from a Well known VA Accredited Claims Agent. as you explain it  and also in those notices you recieved from the VA.

I think they only send out those notices to recent IU recipients.

us old Vietnam dogs   well most of us that's been on IU over ten years or more  most of us still send it in  maybe from habit...I know I still do. 

(jmo)

Thanks guys, good info. Looks like I'll be getting one of those forms next year. Hopefully I don't get screwed because I sold a baseball card because I needed the money while waiting for TDIU to get approved. Maybe i'm just nervous because i'm new to this thing.

10 hours ago, broncovet said:

I always cringe when someone says, "I was told....."

T

The late Senator Mc Cain, and others have gotten 100 percent and a few have overcome their disabilities and are able to earn an income.  

Sorry to say but McCain is a poor example since he was rated 100% not TDIU.     I am rated 100% for my lungs, based on this alone  I could work again if I wanted too... but In my case I was awarded TDIu for a back condition prior to receiving my 100% rating, it was the TDIU award that kept me from working ( I was forced in early civil service retirement).... So again anyone with a 100% rating can work, any one with TDIU generally cannot work.

<<<<<< any one with TDIU generally cannot work.>>>>> Remember, there is always a work around. I just got one of my clients IU even though he has his own accounting business. It's classified as "sheltered employment". For every VA regulation, there is a repair order-well, almost. You will need a good legal representative to succeed, though. It's very important to realize each Veteran's circumstances are unique. There is almost never a "one size fits all" rule. Witness the extraschedular scheme of TDIU if nothing else.