Total Knee REVISION

pattimelt

Question

I had my right knee replaced last April 30, and I am currently still receiving my temporary 100%(my last payment is due on the 1st).  My ortho surgeon has discovered that my tibial component is loose, and will have to do a revision- which means a more difficult operation and then another complete rehab.  Will the temp disability again be 13 months???  Do I have to file a new claim or can I just get the doc to sign that paperwork he did last time on the day of the surgery??  I'm lost on this one... '

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

That seems to be what happened to this veteran:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp18/files4/1826111.txt

It is the only BVA decision I have found so far that mentions a revsision of prior knee surgery.

ORDER Entitlement to an evaluation in excess of 20 percent for postoperative right knee disability due to subluxation prior to November 13, 2009, is denied. Entitlement to a separate evaluation 10 percent from November 25, 2008 to February 9, 2009 for postoperative right knee disability due to degenerative arthritis, is granted Entitlement to an evaluation in excess of 10 percent prior to November 13, 2009 for postoperative right knee disability due degenerative arthritis with limitation of flexion, is denied. Entitlement to a separate evaluation in excess of 10 percent prior to November 13, 2009 for postoperative right knee disability due to limitation of extension, is denied. Entitlement to an evaluation in excess of 40 percent from January 1, 2011 to February 16, 2015, from April 1, 2015 to December 23, 2015, and since February 1, 2017, for total knee replacement, postoperative right knee disability, is denied.

Only one issue was granted but the decision shows you what the ratings can be, depending on medical evidence after the surgery.

This veteran did get one year of  100% temp comp, correctly- I dont know, and it is really hard to even guess, if the revision you expect would warrant another Temp Comp rating.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp18/files4/1826111.txt

I found a few more- this veteran got 100% Temp Comp for the one year period

"The evidence of record reflects that on August 29, 2011, the Veteran underwent a right knee total arthroplasty. He was granted a 100 percent temporary total rating beginning August 29, 2011, until October 1, 2011, and then a 100 percent rating for one year, until October 1, 2012, pursuant to DC 5055. Since then, he has been in receipt of a 30 percent rating for his right knee disability."

and then

after a revision , he received a temp comp extension:

"ORDER Entitlement to an extension of a 100 percent rating for a right knee total arthroplasty to February 1, 2013, is granted."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp15/files1/1502128.txt

I used this search feature which might help you- but then again you do not know what the results of the next surgery will be:

https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva_search.jsp?QT=knee+replacement+&EW=surgical+revision&AT=temporary+compensation&ET=&RPP=10&DB=2019&DB=2018&DB=2017&DB=2016&DB=2015

What if the Veteran is already 100%  or has a rating before the knee surgery? do they pay the veteran 2 -100% if one is Temporary?

Like broncovet  he is 100%  and had Double  knee replacement surgery  can he get 100% Temporary until he recovers for a year?