VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Increase with C&P Exam

Rate this question

dmyers

Question

Hope someone can advise.  I have received VA disability for military-related hearing loss for many years.  I decided to submit a claim to see if I could get my benefits increased.  So I made an appointment at my local VA Hospital to have a hearing exam done.  I submitted the test results with my claim request however now I have received notification that I need to go for a C&P Audio exam with an outside company contracted by the VA.  Their office is located 2 hours from me and it will be very difficult for me to take off work to go especially because I am already off the day before for my follow up appointment with the VA hearing Dr.  Is this normal for them to request information outside a VA doctor at a VA hospital or is it possible that the information I provided them regarding my recent hearing exam was overlooked.  Or that maybe they didn't realize they can request additional information directly from the VA doctor if the information I submitted was insufficient.  I just find it hard to believe that test results from a VA doctor at a VA hospital is not sufficient enough.

Make no mistake...when you miss a Va c and p exam, its pretty much a guaranteed denial.  

I would tell work you have no choice.  What if you were in a serious car accident?  Gee, its only one day.  

• Lead Moderator

The VA has to do a Compensation and Pension Examination.  They are not going to give you a rating where you could get a payment each month for a disability from a non VA examination.  You might as well try to turn back time and change the constitution.  

As for the appointment the VA allows (1) time to change this event, so I would highly recommend you get time off and make it to this appointment if you want any chance at this.  

Bronco is 100% right if you miss this they will just deny you.  

Maybe you missed the point where i said i have a Va exam done by a Va doctor at a Va hospital dated 2 days prior to my claim submission. I'm questioning why they are asking to have another exam done by an outside contractor. Do they not accept exams done by their own doctors?

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco and Shrek are right on. Take their advise and get the time off. If your C&P shows you have a comp hearing loss, if it is rated at least at 10%, you are likely to receive a monthly check for the rest of your life. Miss the exam and you can forget it. By the way, if you have tinnitus, ringing in your ears, and you didn't include it on your claim, be sure to disclose it to the examiner. They could evaluate it at the same time and the results would be an additional 10% disability. The VA doesn't have to be proactve and add it to your claim, but sometimes they do and it saves you time and additional effort. In any case, go to the appointment.

Did you ask the VA contractor when they set up your C&P if they have a closer location? I don't know where you live, but unless you you live in a less populated state such as North Dakota you should be able to get a closer location. When I have been called in the past for my C&P with a contractor while on the initial call they allow me to make changes without it counting as the one time change (I always try to be friendly on the call since I want them to assist me), I have even had them change doctors that I do not like when I receive the initial call. These calls have been with QTC and LHI (they both use the same doctors).

But as listed above do not miss your C&P appointment! 

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has no way to accommodate a veteran when he is free to attend a C&P Exam  they set it up as soon as they can get a Dr to do the exam  ( in most cases) this just is coincidental  that your C&P was schedule the way it was.

you need to ask yourself '' do I want my claim  or not?''

if you choose not to go and go to work instead  I agree with the others   you take a big risk in getting a denial if you don't show up for this C&P.

as for as missing work do not lie  just simply tell your boss the truth  that you  have a date with the VA to attend your C&P Exam.

hopefully your boss will understand.