VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

*UPDATE* RFE Major Depressive disorder

Rate this question

AirForceVetsWife

Question

Update so far...husband just got called back by the doctor, he said my wife is here with me, the doctor looked at me and said "I'd like to see him alone, please"

Doesn't give me good feelings. 

He's been anxious this whole 2.5 hour drive. He's been quiet. He's been anxious in this waiting room. 

He said he believes it went well. He said the doctor suggested highly that he sees someone. He said he had to ask if he could close the blinds because he was uncomfortable, he said he was taking quite a bit of notes. I hate I wasn't in there but my husband said it seemed very favorable. Hopefully he's right. 

Hi all!

My husband is going in next Thursday for a C&P for his SC major depressive disorder. He's at 70% now and I guess I'm looking to calm our nerves. His effective date was June of 2013 so well over 5 years. To me, I see symptoms everyday. I've written a letter that's in his file now. When he first went in for the initial exam in 2013, he didn't even ask for depression...they asked him the questions and then bam 70% major depressive disorder. He thought he was just answering routine exam questions. I'm just worried over this exam. I know it's out of our control on if we get a good person to do this C&P but I've read all the things about it being over 5 years and they would more than likely need more than one exam to prove he's better. I don't see that's he's better. The only issue is he's so stubborn about it and hasn't really seen anyone for this issue and I'm afraid that'll be a huge thing. 

Just looking to calm my nerves. 

Thank you!

Edited by AirForceVetsWife

• Lead Moderator
5 hours ago, Buck52 said:

yes but unfortunately veterans can only recieve one mental diagnoses... Major Depression Disorder is a form of mental health. 

Either try a secondary condition To his S,C, MDD (Any other conditions it is related to or caused by) Like medications  ect,,,ect,,,

or see  if a Dr has increased his MDD Medication  OR THAT IT HAS WORSEN WITHIN THE LAST 5 Years   any un-ordinary behavior or events that has been recorded in his medical records?

also a good lay statment from his spouse   as you witness a  change in your hubby behavior  within the last 5 years due to his S.C. MDD?? or higher dose of prescribe medications.

Buck is right, I have a condition where I was not seen for a long time and my wife filled out a lay statement and it tipped the scales.  You might also want to talk to him and see how he is really doing as I was pretty good at hiding my pain most days.  I have trigger days where something happened in my past and I would be in a really bad mood and not know why, but after some therapy I found out those dates corresponded with events in my past. So now I can better deal with those days and my wife knows if this happens to ask if I need anything, but to let me deal with it.

The lay statement is only a page and a half long so you might need more than one.  

1 hour ago, shrekthetank1 said:

Buck is right, I have a condition where I was not seen for a long time and my wife filled out a lay statement and it tipped the scales.  You might also want to talk to him and see how he is really doing as I was pretty good at hiding my pain most days.  I have trigger days where something happened in my past and I would be in a really bad mood and not know why, but after some therapy I found out those dates corresponded with events in my past. So now I can better deal with those days and my wife knows if this happens to ask if I need anything, but to let me deal with it.

The lay statement is only a page and a half long so you might need more than one.  

You describe exactly what happens with him. I can tell by dates when things are starting to get worse.

I had attached a lay statement on the VA form on VA.gov with his claim file. I have more that I needed to add. Should I attach that one too as a continuation or bring it with us? I didn't want to seem like I was trying to over do it with the statements but after I wrote the first one about a month ago I thought of more to add.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes attach any favorable evidence that will help your hubby keep what he has or go for increase  if he is worse. make copies and bring them with you to the exam or anything favorable you have bring to the exam  make your self copies and leave at home    this way you can give them to the examiner  he can write it up in his report.

sometimes these examiners do not read for enough in the computer to find all the information that is before them.

I suggest you go in to the exam with your hubby and speak up if he don't ?just ask the examiner if its ok that you come in with your hubby  he is a lot worse and he needs you.

Edited by Buck52

3 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Yes attach any favorable evidence that will help your hubby keep what he has or go for increase  if he is worse.

sometimes these examiners do not read for enough in the computer to find all the information that is before them.

I suggest you go in to the exam with your hubby and speak up if he don't ?just ask the examiner if its ok that you come in with your hubby  he is a lot worse and he needs you.

Yea I definitely figured I needed to go in with him. He said at the exam back in 2013 that they talked to me separately and asked me questions but in all honesty, I don't remember that.

I think I'll write out the other lay statement then that's adding to it and also bring it with me.

I mean, like with his sleep, he will sleep and sleep...if I wouldn't wake him up on the weekend, he would sleep all day.
He is working, but he's gone through three jobs in a year. He just doesn't keep them. He gets a good one and then he's like, nope don't like it I can't deal with this and moves on.

I have to lay his clothes out for him, etc. I take care of everything. There's times where he would just rather have his face buried in his phone and he seems so disconnected but I can't bring it up or he gets angry. His moods are all over.

• HadIt.com Elder

Try to relax before the exam and know this examiner is just a man same as your hubby,(if you get a male examiner?),,also think about this   these exams are for a good reason  to help us all get our deserved benefits.its our time to show our disability up close..and the examiner is there to check our medical condition and report on what they find...so actually a C&P Exam is a good thing.

they can determine if your hubby is about the same  or if he has got worse  a good examiner will listen to you and your hubby and take notes..if this happens  its usually a good sign for increase  but we all have to wait and see what they wrote up   some times its a disappointment   just try to do the best you can and report any behavior that your hubby may have since his last exam  but remember not to over exaggerate   the examiner will certainly pick up on that  just be honest with your answers.

I believe you guys will do ok.