Anxiety secondary to Tinnitus?

Mover1993

Question

Good afternoon gents, 

I was denied for a direct service connection for anxiety. I now want to file a supplemental claim for Anxiety secondary to my service connected Tinnitus. Has anyone ever done this?

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

Yes you can  you need a paper trail to support this type claim 

Read this BVA Decision and take note how this veteran won his anxiety secondary to tinnitus   from his s.c. anxiety.. Write down the CFR'S THEY USED AND THE COURT CASES used. in this decision.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/Files2/1616928.txt

If you haven't yet?  and other veterans reading these post

Remember   you need to let the a Audiologist Know you have a ringing in your head  /ears.. , they can't test you for tinnitus its a subjective condition,   so Veterans with this ringing in the Head *(ears) This known as Tinnitus and there are no test for it.  its rated 10% for both ears.

10 minutes ago, Mover1993 said:

Thank you for the response. By paper trail do you mean a diagnosis and a medical opinion linking my anxiety to tinnitus?

Yes I do...Read about this case  it will help you with this type claim   do as this veteran did.

This is if you currently have been S.C. for Anxiety /Depression?

i MEAN TINNITUS   SORRY!

Edited by Buck52 (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, Mover1993 said:

Good afternoon gents, 

I was denied for a direct service connection for anxiety. I now want to file a supplemental claim for Anxiety secondary to my service connected Tinnitus. Has anyone ever done this?

Yes for Sleep Apnea, as secondary to PTSD meds. Before RAMP was implemented.

I had a VSO that tried to claim Sleep Apnea direct-service connection...got denied. I re-opened it, on a secondary basis to PTSD meds...denied again. I re-opened it again, but I had a DBQ filled out by my sleep dr that time. I was scheduled for a C&P exam and the examiner gave a favorable nexus of opinion. 

Tinnitus is capped at 10%, no matter how severe it is, but if it is aggravating or causing you anxiety. You can claim Anxiety, as secondary to Tinnitus.

To secondary-service connect:

1. Must have a service-connected disability (your Tinnitus)

2. Must have a current diagnosis for Anxiety

3. Must have a nexus of opinion stating the minimum threshold of "at least as likely as not" (equal to or greater 50% probability) that #1 and #2 are linked. A rationale must be provided as well.

I agree with Buck52.

Edited by doc25 (see edit history)

Read this:

https://www.nap.edu/read/11443/chapter/6

You may be able to use the article as additional evidence below.

Tinnitus article1.pdf

Thanks Doc, I'll check these over. My plan right now is to file a supplemental claim for anxiety/sleep disturbances secondary to Tinnitus. I will be submitting a second personal statement saying that i think that my anxiety 

Sometimes veterans get nervous when they go for C&P's...only natural. Most of the time you have been waiting months to get to this point. Write yourself a note if you think you might forget something to say. For hearing and tinnitus, this is particularly important. Tell the audiologist right up front that you also have ringing in your ears. If your claim doesn't include a claim for tinnitus, tell him you have it. They are supposed to include it in their evaluation, but we have seen many times the examiner won't ask the obvious question and veterans don't get a seperate disability for tinnitus  if you don't.

On 4/27/2019 at 6:46 PM, Mover1993 said:

Hey, Buck

Yes, I am service connected for Tinnitus. The VA denied me for SC for anxiety/ sleep disturbances though.

Best

Yes I understand...you need to read that BVA decision I posted above. 

IF your trying to claim your tinnitus is related to your anxiety  your going to need to claim it secondary to your tinnitus, this can be done but your going to need help with the Dr's opinion that your tinnitus is related to your anxiety in some way & the Dr needs to go into details about it.

That BVA Decision lets you know how they made a decision in the veterans favor.

GB Army 

Ani't that the truth.about the tinnitus the 10% for tinnitus can make a big difference on down the Road.

Also to get ready for  a C&P Hadit has a write up on the do's and don'ts at your C&P Exam, the main thing is   is never lie. always answer all questions as Honest as you can.