VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What are your opinions on number of claims filed at once?

Rate this question

JKWilliamsSr

Question

I had a discussion with someone about the number of claims that should be filed at once.    Someone told me that VA Raters have a quota for the number of claims that must be completed per day.  Because of this he suggested keeping the number of claims initially filed to a minimum.  He said that if you had a claim that was fairly large with a lot of disability claims it could be bumped to the bottom.   Now to a point I can see the logic behind that but at the same time I don't think that is efficient.  He actually said your claim should only have 3 or 4 claims and when that is completed you file 3-4 more until completed.  He said this is the fastest way to get your claims finished.   To be honest that made absolutely no sense to me.  

So that leaves me with a couple questions.  What do you think about that?  and if you think amount of claims should be minimal what number do you suggest initially?

You can calculate "how much it costs you" by delaying filing claims, but not accurately until you actually get rated.  

If you think you have an extra $10,000 or so laying around, then delay it as long as you like.  In fact, you could delay filing claims "forever" if you have enough $$$$.  

However, for the rest of us, I suggest filing as soon as possible.  

This said, it may not always be a good idea to claim 10, 20, or more "conditons".  

When a Vet claims a list of conditions that couldnt be written on your arm, it always makes me think he is "stretching" it a bit, but I dont know what others think.  

My claim is "horrendously complex" and I have only ever applied for 4 conditions.  

I couldnt even imagine what it would be like to claim 20 conditions.  I just have a hard time wrapping my head around a Vet have "TWENTY", or even "TEN"  "IN SERVICE EVENTS".  

I would almost be afraid to be around that Vet.  Gee, if I am around this guy, will (another!) asteroid strike me, too?  

For the reasons above, I probably would not claim stuff that probably wont ever be rated higher than 0 percent.  

This said, I did claim arthritis but then sort of dropped it, and I wish I hadnt (dropped it)  when that knee has now been replaced with a metal Total knee replacement.  

Edited by broncovet

The answer isn't the number of claims submitted, but the evidence supporting each claim. Many veterans want to protect the earliest effective date possible, but if the evidence aint right, it won't matter.

1. In service episode (sickness or injury).

2. current diagnosis (by medical verifiable means)

3. Connection (nexus from doctor or continuous care)

NEVER GIVE UP

My thoughts are this.   If you have the evidence necessary to support your claim submit it.  Include all the disabilities you feel your qualify for.  It makes no sense to submit them in batches.  I just don't think that is smart.   He made it seem like raters were going through small stacks first and working their way up.  Well to be hones that is called working smarter not harder.  In my job I would do the simplest jobs first to get them out of the way and then progress to harder tasks. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I kinda agree with Fat: it sure isn't going to make any difference if you don'y have the 3 essential parts. But, that said, I could see a veteran submitting maybe 3 or 4 disability claims together and holding off on another batch. If it is really a strong case you have put together for the first 3 or 4, and it would appear that the VA can't possibly deny you, go for it. Especially if the remaining ones are secondary to the first batch.Seems to me that once you have received S-C for a disability, it can often be easier to get the secondaries approved because they are already connected, not in a pile not service-connected yet. To me, if I was a varo and got a claim file to review that had a dozen items on it, I would likely think that the veteran is just trying to throw the pasta against the wall and see what would stick. There is no correct answer here. JMO.

I have never heard of any limits of disabilities you can claim at once, I believe in filing for all I believe I qualify for. I don't worry about quotas, I only worry about what I am truly eligible for. I won't claim for things I am not eligible for, but I will claim any and everything I am eligible for. I have been lucky so far in getting my claims approved, I must admit some are low. But even the low ones I keep working on when they get worse or when I have been low balled.

When I file a claim I also start a new claim but not file it (I only want to establish an effective date). When I submitted my last claim in February 2019, I started a new one right after that (it is only started and nothing is submitted).

Always remember as veterans these benefits we file for we have earned!!!

Good luck and  file for everything even if you do have lots of $$$ laying around.