VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P and other VA records

Rate this question

AirForceVetsWife

Question

You all are going to get tired of seeing my posts. I'm sorry for the millions of questions.

Looking at my husband's records, a CBOC exam from 2014 and one from 2015. The doctor of course did the PHQ-2 screening for depression...they said it was negative but then he got high scores on PTSD? Which the screening seemed more like depression questions..

Looking for improvement at this C&P for his major depressive disorder...he's had it close to 6 years. Does anyone know if the VA considers those PHQ-2 screening results? It's 2 questions. 

So like those say negative with a score of 2 but if he were to take that and a PHQ-9 today his numbers would be very very positive for MDD.

I think I'm stuck in this negative mindset that they're already aiming for the target on his back and this exam is going to be all lies on the examiners part. I need to get out of my own head.

I know I'm going to worry myself into the ground

Edited by AirForceVetsWife

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Im having a hard time understanding your question.

It sounds like he apparently had a c and p exam (probably for an increase?).  

Once service connected, the VA rates on "symptoms" to determine your level of disability.  

If you are seeking an increase, then you need to show that symptoms got worse, since his exam where he was granted benefits and given a rating. 

The VA can and does use "medical evidence" to document symptoms for an increase.  So, yes, you can use forms from a Community clinic, especially if he is being treated by a doctor or other "medical professional".  You "may" need to send VA these records, if you want them to be considered for an increase.  

As far as a diagnosis of PTSD or MDD, the VA rates pretty much all mental disorders using the same criteria.  

As far as worrying goes, I think it was Will Rogers who said that Worry was like paying a debt that you may never owe.  

Yes, I know finances are a concern.  You may have children to look out for, also.  

I can tell you that I have been through the VA rating (and appeal) process since 2002.  Yes, 17 years.  And, I have been on hadit since 2007.   I lost my home waiting on VA benefits in 2005-2006.  

I can tell you I am much stronger now.  I have another home, am rated 100 percent and get social security also.  I just got my 4th CAVC decision, (remand), and have been to the BVA at least 5 times, along with about 12 VARO decisions.  

If your c and p exam, or a decision gets "messed up"...(and it usually does), its highly fixable.  You just have to appeal and persist, appeal and persist, appeal and persist until you get your full benefits, usually with retro.  Hang in there.  

@broncovet I really appreciate that. I'm just learning to navigate all this really.

He had his initial C&P in 2013, this is his 5 year RFE. He's had the rating almost 6 years. He has that next Friday

We aren't even really worried about an increase. Just not reduction. He's not better. I know it and he knows it. I'm just a horrible worrier. I try and control the situation that I can't. 

I was just confused by the CBOC PHQ-2 depression screening. They stated negative in 2014 and 2015 but did the PTSD screening, which the questions sounded like the depression questions and that was a very high score resulting in a positive for that. We know the MDD is present but he isn't seeking for PTSD. I guess my worry was they'd see negative for a 2 question depression screening and try and cry improvement to his condition. But I'm trying to rationalize that they'll see he's not better when they talk to him. I have a lay statement and so does my dad who works with him 

I'm basically just rambling and running in circles. I really appreciate the insight

Edited by AirForceVetsWife

How did/do I "worry less" or even not at all?  For me, its simple:  Faith beats Fear.  

In no small part, I was inspired by a guy in our church.  We call him "Jimmy".  

A few months ago, he had a heart attack and went into the hosptial for some serious life threatening heart surgury.  

I went to see him, in the hospital, a day or two after surgury.  

He told me he was in a "Win/win" situation, then explained:

"If the Lord takes me to heaven, well, then I made it.  However, if he lets me live, then he has more work for me to do, and Im good with that, too.  So, I win either way."

I may mention here that he was not a Veteran and did not have any "disability insurance".  

He did mention that, and his upcoming house payment.  

Our church took up a collection..that was...just enough for his house payment.  

His faith beat his fear/worries.  He seems to understand that God has his back.  It works for me, too.  

Im relying heavy on that too...God has taken care of us these past two years through some big stuff and I know he will take care of us. I know he will bring us through

Thank you for sharing that

Never worry about asking too many questions.  That is what this board is here for, to help people get through this process.

@vetquest I appreciate that. I feel like I'm driving everyone around me crazy worrying about this. I know we will make it through one way or another and if it is a bad outcome, we just go through the process we need to to help correct it.

My dad works with my husband so he is writing a lay statement for us too. He sees how his concentration and everything is low/non existent at work.  So hopefully with my lay statements and his and my husband's symptoms, all will be ok.

Yea we probably should have prepared for this over the last 5 years but things get in the way