VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Missing records - Gave up a few years ago - Any other special avenues?

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

So when I first started going to the VA around 2015 I've been out of the military for 15 years. I tried for years to find my military records and I keep coming up short. I tried every year for multiple years at the Records center, Personnel files, My last permanent post, my last National guard office, I had my Congresswoman send congressional inquires in 3 times and still my records are lost. It sucks. I am lucky to have be able to get my hearing connected from my MOS and i'm at 50% with an increase in now but I keep getting all the other things denied. I won't even try my shoulder pain or ankle pain because it will get shot down. Has anyone been in the same situation. They say my name is so common my records could have been put in any John Chase folder. The archives are massive and I'm lost in the sauce. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think it slows the process down  they have about 30/40 C-files CD's a day per employee to send out almost everyday....so requesting it more than once should speed it up ( a double whammy.)   its on a first come first serve bases.

Just request it from a different place.....  Either VA Claims Intake Center  or NRPC...and even your R.O.

if you get two of your CD Disk IN The Mail so what  take the first one they send you and use it.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/

TRY THIS LINK ABOVE

you also may want to request your C-file  you might find what you need in it for your claim?

Great. I never new that site existed. Just went and requested documents. I will also try and get my C-File. Its just a shame they have nothing on me for everything. My shoulder and ankle injuries got my wisdom teeth out. I even had to prove to them I was in Panama with my certificate of finishing Jungle School and buddy letters before they admitted I was there. Other than my DD214 and some basic training type of notes there's nothing in my file. Weird. Thank you Buck52

Just downloaded everything OMPF and it does not have any medical records. Just my orders, awards, separation papers and other stuff signed before joining. I asked my Rep. on what it'll take to get my C file.

6 hours ago, Riplip said:

So when I first started going to the VA around 2015 I've been out of the military for 15 years. I tried for years to find my military records and I keep coming up short. I tried every year for multiple years at the Records center, Personnel files, My last permanent post, my last National guard office, I had my Congresswoman send congressional inquires in 3 times and still my records are lost. It sucks. I am lucky to have be able to get my hearing connected from my MOS and i'm at 50% with an increase in now but I keep getting all the other things denied. I won't even try my shoulder pain or ankle pain because it will get shot down. Has anyone been in the same situation. They say my name is so common my records could have been put in any John Chase folder. The archives are massive and I'm lost in the sauce. 

Well, it wouldn't hurt to request your C-File. Copies of your service medical records might be in there. See forms attached.

You will be making a FOIA/Privacy Act Request.

If you don't know your C-File number it's C- [your SSN]

You can mail it CERTIFIED MAIL.

If you fax it, make sure to get a fax confirmation #.

You'll get it within 5-6 months or more (unfortunately). Do not make multiple requests. You'll delay receiving your c-file.

Best wishes.

2017-01-18+Claims+Intake+Fax+Coversheet-1.pdf va3288.pdf

Edited by doc25

I have requested my C-File. Can't wait to see what's in there. Hopefully more than I've been able to find in the last 20 years. Thanks