VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Quitting Anti-Depressants / SSRIs

Rate this question

abarrus

Question

I'm 70% disabled. I just started on Testosterone Replacement Therapy. Lots of men with hypogonadism begin TRT then they quit their SSRI.

I've been on anti-depressants for about 14 years. I've been 70% disabled for depression for about 10 years. If I quit those drugs, will they make a reduction?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

No they can't...but never under estimate the VA

once Service connected for MDD and given a rating or any other condition  they can't take away your benefits unless they can prove you have improved,or committed fraud.

they can send you to a C&P Exam if they wish  , but they have to prove you have improved   and that's without taking the medications or taking them.....

. like if you have hearing Impairment and use  hearing aids  they can't take away your Hearing Benefits  if you don't use the hearing Aids..the burden of proof is on the VA that your S.C. Disability has improved.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Great Point Ms T.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:16 PM, abarrus said:

I've been on anti-depressants for about 14 years. I've been 70% disabled for depression for about 10 years.

@abarrus

You have a protected status with your 10 yeas at 70%. It is not impossible to reduce your percentage but it is much more difficult for the VA to do so.

I do have a question. Was the VA the one prescribing them for all 14 years? in service?

you may have an additional layer of protection based on your age. I think it is like 55 that the VA basically won't give you a "review" C&P on any condition rated P&T and by this time I have to think you are P&T.