VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P exam on the 13th

Rate this question

ShrekTheTank

Question

• Lead Moderator

So I am trying to give the BVA a clear picture of my disease.  I have thought about marking my entire body to show where I have Lipomas (150 or so) with a circle and then a slash where I have had 120+ removed.  I was thinking of doing this before going to the rater that morning or taking picture of it to submit.  Any advice?

Synonyms of Dercum’s Disease

• Adiposis Dolorosa
  • Fatty Tissue Rheumatism
  • Juxta-Articular Adiposis Dolorosa
  • Lipomatosis Dolorosa Morbus Dercum's

General Discussion

Dercum's disease is an extremely rare disorder characterized by multiple, painful growths consisting of fatty tissue (lipomas). These growths mainly occur on the trunk, the upper arms and upper legs and are found just below the skin (subcutaneously). Pain associated with Dercum's disease can often be severe. Pain may be caused by these growths pressing on nearby nerves. Dercum's disease mainly occurs in adults and more women are affected than men. In some cases, affected individuals may also experience weight gain, depression, lethargy, and/or confusion. The exact cause of Dercum's disease is unknown.

Signs & Symptoms

The characteristic finding of Dercum’s disease is the slow formation of multiple, painful growths consisting of fatty tissue (lipomas) that are found just below the surface of the skin. Pain may vary from mild discomfort when a growth is pressed or touched to severe pain that is disproportionate to the physical findings. Some affected individuals feel that “all fat hurts.” Pain can last for hours and may come and go or last continuously. In severe cases, pain may worsen with movement. The exact reason for pain associated with Dercum’s disease is unknown, but may occur because the lipomas press on nearby nerves. Lipomas may be found in any part of the body, although they are rare in the head and neck. The trunk, upper arms and upper legs are most often affected.

Some individuals with Dercum’s may experience swelling of various areas of the body, especially the hands. Swelling occurs for no apparent reason and often disappears without treatment. Significant weight gain is a common occurrence for most individuals affected by Dercum’s disease.

Additional symptoms may occur in individuals with Dercum’s disease including fatigue, generalized weakness, a tendency to bruise easily, headaches, irritability, and stiffness after resting, especially in the morning. An association with bouts of depression, memory or concentration problems, and a susceptibility to infection has been noted in some cases.

Additional reports in the medical literature have linked Dercum’s disease to a variety of conditions including arthritis, high blood pressure (hypertension), congestive heart failure, sleep disorders, dry eyes, and myxedema, a condition due to an underactive thyroid that is characterized by dry skin, swelling around the lips and nose, and mental deterioration.

Ok.  I will give advice.  Dont undress and magic marker your body with lipomas, unless the doc asks you to do that.  

Here is what you want to do, instead, to prepare for the exam:

1.  Know what your answer will be when the doc greets you and says, "How are you"?

If you answer the customary, "FINE", then you will be backpedelaing the entire exam. ("Gee, you told me you were fine, now you tell me the pain level is a 9, so which is it?)  

2.  Tell your doc how you feel on the "worst day", not the day of the exam when you are fine.    If you could not get out of bed on Monday due to the pain, then so state!  

3.  What I suggest, when the doc asks how you are, respond with something like (it has to be factual, this is just an example):

"Im ok, under the circumstances, today.  Monday, I couldnt get out of bad the lipomas hurt so much.  I have had ___ (insert number) surgically removed, and they pop up again like weeds in the garden.  (detail your symptoms)

Always be honest, never lie to try to get benefits, but do tell them your symptoms, so dont "understate" them either.  

Instead of marking up your body with markers, do this instead:

1.  Make sure your Caluza element documention is complete.  Do you have a nexus?  When did that happen?  Do you have a diagnosis?  What was your in service event?  Is all this documented?  Or are you missing something?  

2.  Stay calm, be on time or early, be polite, be honest, and be prepared.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with broncovet

do not over exaggerate your symptoms, that will raise a Red Flag with the examiner.

Make sure the examiner is qualified to work your exam...I mean you don't wont a Foot Dr  checking your condition and symptoms  ect,,,ect,,,,,,

Go to this link Hadit as put up   as to the do's and don't s  at a C&P Exam

https://www.hadit.com/things-to-do-at-your-va-compensation-and-pension-exam/

Do you have service records where you were treated for the lipomas?  Do you have a short description of the disease well written by a doctor or researcher?  I would bring these along if you have them.  The doctor might not read them but you can ask if he would like to read them.  It may help when dealing with a disease the doctor has never heard of.  A good doctor will research it if he has never heard of it.  

Good luck with the C&P and follow broncovet's and buck's advice.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good points from Vetquest, take your records with you just in case the examiner don't have them in the computer?..although they are suppose to and they are suppose to pre read them before your exam.

some examiners don't always do that.

• Lead Moderator
4 hours ago, broncovet said:

Ok.  I will give advice.  Dont undress and magic marker your body with lipomas, unless the doc asks you to do that.  

Here is what you want to do, instead, to prepare for the exam:

1.  Know what your answer will be when the doc greets you and says, "How are you"?

If you answer the customary, "FINE", then you will be backpedelaing the entire exam. ("Gee, you told me you were fine, now you tell me the pain level is a 9, so which is it?)  

2.  Tell your doc how you feel on the "worst day", not the day of the exam when you are fine.    If you could not get out of bed on Monday due to the pain, then so state!  

3.  What I suggest, when the doc asks how you are, respond with something like (it has to be factual, this is just an example):

"Im ok, under the circumstances, today.  Monday, I couldnt get out of bad the lipomas hurt so much.  I have had ___ (insert number) surgically removed, and they pop up again like weeds in the garden.  (detail your symptoms)

Always be honest, never lie to try to get benefits, but do tell them your symptoms, so dont "understate" them either.  

Instead of marking up your body with markers, do this instead:

1.  Make sure your Caluza element documention is complete.  Do you have a nexus?  When did that happen?  Do you have a diagnosis?  What was your in service event?  Is all this documented?  Or are you missing something?  

2.  Stay calm, be on time or early, be polite, be honest, and be prepared.  

I am bad about just saying I am fine. 

Perfect ty!

Yes I am service  connected this is for the bva. This is for a higher rating. I have also seen her twice last month. So the doctor knows me. 

• Lead Moderator
3 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I agree with broncovet

do not over exaggerate your symptoms, that will raise a Red Flag with the examiner.

Make sure the examiner is qualified to work your exam...I mean you don't wont a Foot Dr  checking your condition and symptoms  ect,,,ect,,,,,,

Go to this link Hadit as put up   as to the do's and don't s  at a C&P Exam

https://www.hadit.com/things-to-do-at-your-va-compensation-and-pension-exam/

I am going to be honest and let them know a bad day and a good day and how many bad days a month I have. 

I will read the link later.  Ty