VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What caregiver options are available for pre9/11 vets?

OldSoldier

Question

I’ve been pretty messed up for a lot of years and physically mentally unable to do anything with my va benefits until a few years ago when I got help, so I was 50% for 20 years. With ptsd since Iraq and chronic fatigue / fibromyalgia since 2010, i just finally got rated 100% p&t effective 2 years ago. My wife my caregiver all these years but I lost all other financial benefits except va so I am trying to find out how to get caregiver for my wife. I am 90s vet. I did read about smc l but my experience with c p exams has left me in a place where I’d rather eat a bullet.

• HadIt.com Elder

what is your S.C. Rating Percentage?

Are you a Vietnam combat veteran?

https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/comprehensive-assistance/

It is my understanding that Pre  911 veterans are not yet able to get caregiver benefits. While it was approved, the va is required to go thru some kind of study before it will finally be open to all veterans. Also, you do not have to be a combat veteran for caregiver benefits, you will just have to show that you need a caregiver, if you already have Aid & attendance that is proof you need a caregiver. 

I think it depends on VAMC you are working with. My wife gets paid monthly for my bowel and bladder care. If your VAMC has a separate program like ours you could get help then, good luck!

For those of us waiting on the enactment of  the caregivers program for pre 911 veterans read the attached.

https://www.veterans.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/FINAL Veterans First Act Caregivers Provisions.pdf

To be sure it looks like the program has been delayed due to tech problems in the new va software.....

1 hour ago, Richard1954 said:

For those of us waiting on the enactment of  the caregivers program for pre 911 veterans read the attached.

https://www.veterans.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/FINAL Veterans First Act Caregivers Provisions.pdf

To be sure it looks like the program has been delayed due to tech problems in the new va software.....

Isn't it ironic how a "tech" problem has delayed implementing a program for so many disabled veterans yet they can find ways to implement other things??  I call BS..........