VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What caregiver options are available for pre9/11 vets?

OldSoldier

Question

I’ve been pretty messed up for a lot of years and physically mentally unable to do anything with my va benefits until a few years ago when I got help, so I was 50% for 20 years. With ptsd since Iraq and chronic fatigue / fibromyalgia since 2010, i just finally got rated 100% p&t effective 2 years ago. My wife my caregiver all these years but I lost all other financial benefits except va so I am trying to find out how to get caregiver for my wife. I am 90s vet. I did read about smc l but my experience with c p exams has left me in a place where I’d rather eat a bullet.

It is said the "devil is in the details" and I did some digging after the info came out and found that home inspections (once each quarter) are required.  Nothing to hide at la maison Greene but I personally find that caveat intrusive.  🤨

I have (among other MS symptoms) neurogenic bladder which has worsened and when I put in for an increase naturally I was reduced.  Makes zero sense.  Now I am in appeals-ville.

A BIG shout-out to my husband who does not get paid to care for me.  He resigned from his job for which I will be eternally thankful.

We go day by day---it could always be worse.  Staying positive.  👩‍❤️‍👨

On 5/3/2019 at 10:14 PM, broncovet said:

To get caregiver benefits probably means the same thing:  You would need a c and p exam to show you needed a caregiver.  Of course, that is, UNLESS you have it already documented that you need a caregiver.  

Nope, caregiver program is something entirely different and is applied for by the caregiver and is set up for the veteran to be evaluated completely different.  There is absolutely ZERO risk about losing benefits or reduction in your rating like applying for SMCs....just another way that pre 9/11 veterans are being screwed....