VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Conditions

Rate this question

Raychamp

Question

When I previously posted this question, it was a little garbled and  I meant to say,  that on March 24, 2003, I filled out a VA form called  “HEALTH HISTORY FOR PRIMARY CARE ASSIGNMENT” and give it to the VA hospital  in Michigan so that I would  be eligible for VA medical care. On this form they had a question called DIABETES and I checked YES.   I eventually filed a disability claim for diabetes and VA granted me 20% disability for diabetes because of Agent Orange on August 11, 2015.  I have some secondary conditions caused from this diabetes and my questions is, can I claim Secondary conditions that happened after March 24, 2003 or only the conditions that happened after the effective date of my diabetes disability August 12, 2015?

3 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

So first off what/how many conditions are service connected?  Once you have this then we go into secondary conditions. 

The secondary condition must be shown to BE affected by the service connected condition.  Meaning it is aggravating it or something to this effect.  You will need IMO.  Also always check you medical records from the VA as you would be surprised you missed that check up on your knee one day or something like that.  A nexus will work if a doctor will show how it is service connected.

There is no timeline on a secondary condition I am aware of, because my PTSD(service connected) affects my sleep apnea(not connected) yet.  

Your body changes over time, so It is smart to keep track of those changes and what is going on.

Claim the secondary conditions.  If awarded, you can dispute the effective date if necessary.  Go ahead and file...wait to decide whether or not to appeal the effective date until AFTER the decision arrives.  

The VA has something called "case or controversy".  That is, they dont decide "hypothetical questions".  You can not appeal an effective date until after its awarded.  

Edited by broncovet

13 hours ago, broncovet said:

Claim the secondary conditions.  If awarded, you can dispute the effective date if necessary.  Go ahead and file...wait to decide whether or not to appeal the effective date until AFTER the decision arrives.  

The VA has something called "case or controversy".  That is, they dont decide "hypothetical questions".  You can not appeal an effective date until after its awarded.  

I second that. 

Click on this link to further educate yourself:

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/