Herbicide exposed

Mark pellegrin

Question

Newbie to the VA system. I put in a claim for AO related Diabetes knowing full well that my blue water service would probably be denied until legislative action is completed. Then I get a letter stating that I have been determined to be Vietnam era herbicide exposed. What does that mean? I’m going to get an appointment with VA to get an explanation, but wanted to see if anyone in this forum has an explanation.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Hi Mark, welcome aboard. I am guessing that your Blue Water service was on a ship that was considered in territorial waters of Nam. Dis you look up to see if your ship is on the list?

3 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Hi Mark, welcome aboard. I am guessing that your Blue Water service was on a ship that was considered in territorial waters of Nam. Dis you look up to see if your ship is on the list?

I was on an aircraft carrier and I didn’t see it listed. I don’t know if any carrier made the list, that’s why I was surprised they determined I am herbicide exposed. I sent the VA an email asking for an explanation so we’ll see.

GBArmy is right- the AO Ship's list is here under a search- I am glad they conceded your exposure.

Diabetes Mellitus can have multiple secondary conditions.They should be claimed too.

We have plenty of AO info in the Agent Orange forum here.

It has been the most important vet issue of my life****- and hopefully the Secretary will add some new presumptives by the end of June 2019.

He stated he would not fight the Procopio decision at the Supreme Court but has asked for an extension on that-

most important **** was until yesterday----another veteran issue is taking up my time.I heard from a vet yesterday with a Bill in the House VAC similiar to mine. His full story is here under a search for Brian Tally.

I will be researching to see if and how a high government  employee of the VA can be sued for legal malpractice.

Also check the last AO Presumptives here to make sure you claim any AO presumptive you have.

Mark:

Berta is correct; if your ship is listed,  your diabetes will be presumptive. If not on the list, I don't know why they are giving it to you unless    you can show you went ashore. See what they respond with for a reason why the granted it.What you should do is review everything else you have wrong with you and see if they may be symptoms of OTHER secondary presumptives from AO. For example pain in your legs or feet could be neurophathy, eye/vision problems from High Blood Pressure. Look up the AO presumptives in VA.gov; there are a dozen or so and in addition, hopefully more that Congress is reviewing. If you have anything on the list, claim it also. 

I also recently received an eligibility change letter from the VA stating "you have been determined to be a Vietnam era herbicide exposed Veteran". I am assuming this determination came from a denied claim I made 18 moths ago for type 2 diabetes. It was "pre' and not full blown, therefore the denial. I served at Korat, Thailand, Air Force, 1968 to 1969, and submitted a lot of backup information with the claim to support my belief that I was exposed to herbicides...pictures, drift zone map, base map, remote site map, maps marked showing my open air hootch location within the drift zone, back up letters, etc. A few weeks before I received the determination letter, the VA diagnosed me with prostate cancer. I filed a claim with my local VA office and the following day received the determination letter which I again feel was a result of the claim filed 18 months ago for diabetes. Question....will the herbicide exposure determination assure that my new claim for prostate cancer goes through or will I still be subject to more scrutinization?