VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU after Retirement

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I was talking about this in another thread but as @Buck52 said I don't want to hijack someone else thread.

I will be retiring from the federal government around the end of October, I will be receiving a retirement check from them, I am also retired from the Air Force. My quest is can I get IU even though I am retired?

Once I retire I will also go to the VA Voc ReHab. I am also hoping (like everyone else on this site) to get to 100% P&T I almost there now.

If I do get 100% P&T is there any need to pursue IU?

If I should get 100% P&T and then file for IU, do I still keep the benefits of the 100% P&T, I am most interested in the $1,000 per child and even spouse while going to college. 

Also if I died before they start college are they still entitled to the $1,000 per month while going to college? My kids are currently 6 and 10 (second marriage). The way my health has been declining I wonder if I will be around until then? I am just trying to be realistic is all.

I am always coping what you guys write here and them saving it on my computer for future reference, I just pray my computer doesn't die is all...lol 

A veteran can be scheduler 100% and IU.  If there is a single disability that causes IU the veteran can be eligible for SMC.  When the veteran is assigned scheduler the IU still applies for SMC.  This maximizes the veterans benefits as required by law.

21 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

This is the fastest it has been so far. 

@paulstrgn

Funny you say that. Yesterday I got notified of an appt with VES for my Voiding Dysfunction C&P. They are looking for someone to do it. thought I might get by without the C&P but no luck.

15 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

f I should get 100% P&T and then file for IU,

your sequence won't get you what you are asking about. If you are rated 100% Schedular and apply for TDIU they will moot the request for TDIU. I am not aware that they would change a 100% Schedular to TDIU JUST to add SMC that you were not already receiving.

If however you are TDIU and have SMC, that you would loss by bumping you to schedular 100% then they will leave you at TDIU if doing so will let you keep the SMC.

It all depends on how your ratings are related. which ones are secondaries to what primary and if that primary is what made you TDIU, and then the primary bumps to 100% schedular.

The ebenefits Disabilities link shows you which are secondary and what all the percentages are in one convenient picture.

I did tell them I wanted a male doctor and she understood. I was surprised that they will do a C&P on me as well, nothing to check or see after all.

I have an appointment with VES on Friday May 24 for a new C&P I had from a complaint I made about the QTC doctor. I had emailed the regional director in Roanoke and she had this guy from the VA call me (they are wanting to reduce my back and femoral nerve issues).