VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU after Retirement

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I was talking about this in another thread but as @Buck52 said I don't want to hijack someone else thread.

I will be retiring from the federal government around the end of October, I will be receiving a retirement check from them, I am also retired from the Air Force. My quest is can I get IU even though I am retired?

Once I retire I will also go to the VA Voc ReHab. I am also hoping (like everyone else on this site) to get to 100% P&T I almost there now.

If I do get 100% P&T is there any need to pursue IU?

• HadIt.com Elder

I think of all Veterans my brothers and sisters. I would not be here today if it was not for some veterans.

19 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

not sure if I can get it if I am already at 100%

if you are rated 100% schedular, there is a seemingly rare quirk where a second rating for TDIU might happen and I think it is Buck who posted about it in his case but I am not sure.

In the normal path 100% Schedular moots TDIU this is because other than SMC's there is no pay difference.

This will now get a little on the TMI side, but it might help you so I will dive into it. This is just info for you and if it applies then keep it in mind for the your ED C&P.

In your ED C&P DBQ is a second section about Urinary Tract issues which are deeply connected to ED.

In there is a question about "pads".

Now I am old and cranky and until having that C&P I was ignorant of "pads" for men. I did know what adult diapers were and in my mind there was no way in hell I would ever buy those or wear them unless I absolutely had too. 

Yes that is obstinate, cranky, old man, and out of touch thinking... I am even uncomfortable talking about it here much less in the Real World.

The point is that when the ED Examiner was asking about "pads" I had to admit I did not know what he was talking about. I asked and he explained. When I answered with what my solution to address the issue of leakage, changing drawers several times a day, he marked that I said I did not wear "pads" which I found odd as we talked about this for 10  very uncomfortable minutes. 

In the Decision letter the VA rater notified me that I might have a claim for Voiding Dysfunction. When looking up that criteria it shows if you need more than 4 pads a day you can rate for 60% which is the max under that diagnostic code.

This is mainly a self-reported condition, though I do understand they might make you strap on a condom catheter and "measure" volume but I don't know of anyone who has had to do that or any other test for it. In fact when I have asked about Voiding Dysfunction many, like me, did not know it was rateable.

for other reasons I put in an ITF for that issue and now that those reasons are resolved, I just filed that claim last week so I don't know the outcome but I suspect another C&P or with the evidence I submitted they might just grant without one. Particularly since the VA will provide you these pads, they can easily count how many you go through a month and divide by 30.

If that helps you in any way great, if not then I have just engaged in a TMI vomit session. LOL.

• HadIt.com Elder

I wear pads at times  my PCP Ordered them for me  because I have dribble from swollen Prostate , I take meds for that ,However I was service connected for E.D. because of the PTSD Meds I take  &  I never mention the pads in my PTSD Claim  and also I went seen a Private urologist and he wrote me up a good Nexus For the secondary E.D. Claim...werid they never use his letter in making their decision  I had enough Medical records From the VA. but I did submit that urologist letter...Paid good $$ For it...grrrr

We just never know what those raters will do.