VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

non service connected Bipolar ?

Rate this question

steven13081

Question

So im looking on this e-benefits website and just browsing around and i noticed i have an old claim labeled non-service connected bipolar.

Now i've never filed a claim but i was was forced to see someone for anger management post deployment in 06.

is it possible a doctor put this claim in or maybe i did it while in a drunken blackout which is also entirely possible.  Thoughts?

6 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

Typically if you don't put in for it then it is not ever looked at.  Now if you had something happen in service and a doctor opinioned in on what they thought you had and it could be Bipolar, then it is possible.  Now if you just put in for it when you were drunk , then you would have received some sort of paper work letting you know why it was not service connected.  

Were you seen in service for Bipolar?

• HadIt.com Elder
7 hours ago, steven13081 said:

So im looking on this e-benefits website and just browsing around and i noticed i have an old claim labeled non-service connected bipolar.

Now i've never filed a claim but i was was forced to see someone for anger management post deployment in 06.

is it possible a doctor put this claim in or maybe i did it while in a drunken blackout which is also entirely possible.  Thoughts?

yes its possible a Dr  sent in a claim for you,,,as shrenkthetank1 mention you should have received a notice denial or award  one way or the other you should been notified. you need to request your C-File AND LOOK INIT TO SEE YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS AND WHAT DR'S HAVE SAID ABOUT YOUR CONDITION OR CONDITIONS.

Edited by Buck52

9 hours ago, steven13081 said:

non-service connected bipolar.

@steven13081

Do you have any Mental Health related SCs? if you do the NSC would be odd unless you directly told them you were bipolar before you entered the military.

as the others have mentioned, if it was adjudicated you should have paperwork on it somewhere. if it wasn't adjudicated you might want to consider working that path. An NSC aggravated by a SC can be compensable in certain circumstances.

10 hours ago, steven13081 said:

just looked again and its located in the disabilities tab not the claims on

can you screen cap the Disabilities tab on ebenefits, make sure no identifying info is showing, and post it?

what I am looking for is what items it shows are secondary to an SC rating.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:36 PM, steven13081 said:

this is all i found while in service. 

those notes indicate a couple things, one that might be in your favor. on the second link it shows you were told to get Comprehensive Psychiatric Exams....did you do that? what did the results say? do you  have the exams? can you get them?

The other weird notation is that they specifically said you did not have anhedonia which is a pretty specific mental health term related to depression and bi polar disorder. So how did this come about? did you tell them, or did they ask you, if you were able to feel "happy" about things? enjoy hobbies? going out? having friends?

anhedonia is about feeling pleasure, physical-mental-social pleasure. it can be a simple as "do you have any hobbies that you enjoy" to " i really don't enjoy sex any more, it isn't worth pursuing". or "I don't go out with friends anymore because I don't enjoy it". That feeling can fluctuate wildly with people who are bi polar or manic.

if any of that started or worsened in service it is an area for you to explore concerning getting rated as SC.