VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just joined the board

Rate this question

Merc

Question

Hello all, Just joined the board. Stumbled on here after getting fed up with VA and their nonsense.

Since I started reading, I've made a leap of faith and reached out to a few of the respected doctors for some assistance with putting our stuff together. So far, Dr. Bash has been the most responsive. After speaking with me and my wife, he thinks he can move us both from 20% to 100%... It's not cheap - quoted $18k!!  But if he can deliver and maybe even get us some retro, it may be worth it.

Figured I'd chronicle the adventure here for the benefit of others.

• Lead Moderator
1 hour ago, Merc said:

Hello all, Just joined the board. Stumbled on here after getting fed up with VA and their nonsense.

Since I started reading, I've made a leap of faith and reached out to a few of the respected doctors for some assistance with putting our stuff together. So far, Dr. Bash has been the most responsive. After speaking with me and my wife, he thinks he can move us both from 20% to 100%... It's not cheap - quoted $18k!!  But if he can deliver and maybe even get us some retro, it may be worth it.

Figured I'd chronicle the adventure here for the benefit of others.

It is totally your choice to go that route.  

For me and mine I have spent about $1000 for IMO.  That was for two disability.  My Fibromyalgia was done by a VA doctor (FREE).  Dercum's 60% disease same doctor (FREE).  IBS cost me about $500 because I was not on VA health care.  PTSD I got to 30% without any IMO but have paid $500 for an IMO waiting for results.  Scars 30% (FREE).  Left knee (FREE).  Tinnitus 10% (FREE).  I have headaches, Sleep apnea, PTSD, and Dercum's disease on appeal.  So If it all works out I will be at 100% by the end of the year!  

The fight has taken me 5+ years now as I did make a lot of mistakes before filing.  I did not find this site until I was deep into my appeal.  I would have made a lot of different decisions now and make sure all of my evidence is in correctly.  

If he can get it all in there for you without the wait then I would say it is worth it.  

I would ask for help on here if needed as there is a vast resource of knowledge here.  

Edited by shrekthetank1

No doctor can promise you that and there is nothing that Bash can do that your own doctor can't do for free- with Bash you will pay quite a lot for an imo up front with no guarantee of a positive outcome. That's not counting any lawyer fees if you are in that, too. The is no magic formula or process for VA benefits. If Bash was on TV at late night on a commercial offering to try your injury case and win, would you feel any more at ease about your chances and what you would spend? You won't find a negative opinion on here about him because he's a forum member and there are rules about negativity towards other forum members here. Take that for what you will. 

I went through my claims process, from 40% initially in 2002 incrementally to 100% in 2015 with help from a VSO once, and only 1 appeal for a particular contention. You don't need a medical degree, legal degree, or even college degree to file your own claims or research your condition a little bit to see if your sound have grounding for an increase. The VA claims reading table is available via Google. You can read prior CVAC cases online via Google as well. And all for free. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

• HadIt.com Elder

Both Brokensoldier AND Shrek are right. This a forum and the folks  respond to questions are doing so based on their experiences and from their bumps and bruises they have gotten along the way. Both are great contributors to this place where veterans can get some really great advise. I agree with Brokensoldier flat out on one thing: I seriously doubt Dr. Bash actually said he would get you to 100%. I wouldn't use any doctor that said that because they have no control on what the VA finally decides. Maybe you are misquoting what he said, and hes really said he "thinks" you will get there? Anyway, the choice of using a doctor for professional help, an IMO or IME is strictly up to personal opinion. Use this site to get valuable information based on people that have gone thru what you have to do. Certainly some disabilities are more clear cut and you shouldn't have much difficulty using our advise and getting them approved. Maybe some other disabilities, based on your personal situation, are going to be a lot harder to win. Some veterans just want assistance in doing this. I usually ask a veteran this question: would you rather have 70% of a pot of money, or, 100% of a pot with no money in it. If you win with a lawyer, you pay him maybe 20% plus expenses ,and you then get 100% yourself going forward. If you lose, you get nothing unless you appeal. Part of this important decision is based on the probably that the veteran will just give up after denial and not attempt to appeal. They just get frustrated and give up. If that is you, get help. Understand that if you have a complicated case, you will more than likely have to appeal something on it. That is when you get the lawyers involved. An IMO you can submit on you initial submital if you want. My whole point is do what you want to do; it's your claim. 

I suggest you look at all your options before you spend $18K, if it is a money back guarantee then it's worth it (I know it's not). 

My rule of thought is when you spend any amount of money whether for VA help or on slot machines in Las Vegas that you can afford to lose that money. Never expect to win, you can certainly hope you will win though. Every time I buy as lotto ticket I think of it as entertainment and not a financial investment.

I know it is hard to make these decisions, just don't rush into it is all. Good luck with your claims.

Yes. Look at all your options, and good luck with your claim. Would you rather have your imo written by a doctor you know (and if your records say the same thing and call that out in your claim you just make it easier for the raters) or a doctor you don't, that has never seen you? If VA can use a doctor review to overturn or deny that has never seen you on a valid claim and that's unfair, what makes using a doctor that has never seen you writing a positive (for money) any more valid?

Good Morning all!  

Lots of good info and things that I have considered. Both my wife and I have been out of the military for over 20 years. After fighting with the VA all this time we're UP to a meager 20% each. We've grown weary of the fight. All we ever run into is a hassle and inconvenience at the VA. The doctors are apprehensive and don't want to really consider our issue. My wife needs to use a cane for her issues and they give us grief for requesting a signature to get a disabled parking placcard. It's ridiculous. The VA doctors and C&P examiners make us feel like we're asking for something that we do not deserve, like we're somehow stealing benefits or something like that.   I'm 10% for tinnitus and 10% for a messed up wrist. I have sleep apnea and the CPAP, rhinitis and probably GERD as well. Also, have lots of pain/joint issues and raynauds.  Wife is 10% for hip issue and 10% for migraines (misdiagnosed MS)---   She was a paratrooper and has a bunch of foot, leg, back, neck issues. Apnea as well/cpap, etc.  Thus, we've started to feel like we should get some expert help and sometimes you will actually get what you pay for.

That said, $18k is a HUGE amount of money and not something we can readily afford. And when we spoke to the Dr. he did NOT guarantee 100%. He merely stated that he thinks we were severely underrated and that we should be at 100% with my wife possibly in the realm of SMC-L...  He did think that he COULD get us to the 100% mark.  I agree with you all that there are no guarantees and anyone who gives a guarantee in a business like this is surely not to be believed. He did state that he could offer some sort of payment plan and that it was basically on the honor system as we would have his work before he would have his fee in full. 

I did reach out to several "options" but it was surprisingly difficult to get responses from anyone.  I've reached out to Attig twice (not even a return call or email);  I reached out to REE Medical and they claimed they could get my wife to 70% for $1800. (nothing they could do for me);  I reached out to Anaise and got a return email recommending I read his book, nothing further; reached out to Bash and received an email reply, a phone conversation last night for about an hour, and another call this morning. While he is super expensive, he at least appears to be responsive.  I'm still nervous about this, but I need to do something. 

My hope is that there is way to get all of this sorted in a timely fashion, and maybe be able to reach back for retro pay as well.

I understand that this is a public forum and that Dr. Bash is a member here as well as others mentioned earlier. My intent is not to disparage or dissuade. I am merely documenting our journey for the benefit of others. I welcome any and all input from the more experienced folks here.