VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just joined the board

Rate this question

Merc

Question

Hello all, Just joined the board. Stumbled on here after getting fed up with VA and their nonsense.

Since I started reading, I've made a leap of faith and reached out to a few of the respected doctors for some assistance with putting our stuff together. So far, Dr. Bash has been the most responsive. After speaking with me and my wife, he thinks he can move us both from 20% to 100%... It's not cheap - quoted $18k!!  But if he can deliver and maybe even get us some retro, it may be worth it.

Figured I'd chronicle the adventure here for the benefit of others.

I got a post from you here, in my email but I dont see it on the board yet.?

"You do say something that has me concerned "the RO refused to read his IMO's"--- WHAT??   If that is possible, how can anyone feel comfortable charging such a high fee? I can understand getting paid for services rendered, but if they are unable to be used, then that is an issue.

I am happy to scan our denials for your review. It'll have to be a later this evening though...  I'm curious to know your thoughts on this."

I dont want to give the wrong impression on why they refused to read his IMOs.

I have been on their shit list for almost 25 years because of my FTCA case-

I dont mind because I have evidence from my RO  that supports a Bill I have at the House Vet Affairs Committee)

The IMos from Dr Bash, plus an additional IMO freebee I got and my extensive medical evidence( I didnt think I even needed an IMO because I won FTCA against them for wrongful death $ without a lawyer and without an IMO) but then again I dealt directly with General Counsel, VA and they read all of my evidence, after a  brief hassle-

Then my RO denied my 1151 DIC claim, I called up the GC in DC and they were  ordered by General Counsel to pay me, because they refused to accept my FTCA settlement award ( wrongful death) and then after they refused to stop holding back my DIC payment when my full FTCA offset was paid back, they also refused to acknowledge a CUE I had filed then, and this was around the same time I was trying to finish my degree at AMU- that had priority with me. But when I re opened my claim for a direct SC death ( I know of no one who ever did this before)

it was on another malpracticed disability my husband had, and my daughter  , a veteran insisted I re open on direct SC basis.So I might have made a statement in the claim  to the affect that since the VA had already malpracticed on my husbands IHD,HBP, stroke, medication, (FTCA) it was 'as likely as not 'the VA failed to properly diagnose and treat  his  DMII .

But I made it clear that my husband was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam and that this direct SC presumptive caused/contributed to his death. I wanted a direct SC DIC award.

At that point the RO had to check with Regional Counsel as to the FTCA matter.

The RC saw my CUE on my offset -never resolved. He Cued them.

I got a check for 28 thousand plus and for days I didnt know what is was for-then the letter came  about the RC's CUE.I called the 800# 3 times because I thought VA had made an error sending it.I even told one 800 guy I spent it all at K mart- but dont know what it is for- he said it is definitely not an error and laughed at the K Mart statement-I was afraid to even put it into my ckhecking account-

I checked the amount and it was wrong by an entire year of DIC. I sent them my calculations, and then they sent 11,000 + more.

So by time of the DMII claim, my RO knew I was not someone they could F--- with. But they still try-

They  have managed to mess up every claim I have ever filed but I won them all.And have 3 CUES pending.

But my long point is this- My IMOs from Dr Bash were Well Worth the money they cost, and I even paid more for a forensic cardio opinion, but my award from the BVA came before the Cardio opinion had been done.

That forensic form refunded about half of the IMO fee they charged.

You asked for Dr Bash to do a LOT of work . Work that he does not usually have to do, because the veteran or survivor has done it-or the claim  involves a more clear cut medical situation, but 

I did all the work I needed to do , before I asked him to do an IMO for me, so I knew  my IMO fees would award the claim.

My AO DIC death award due to DMII brought with it more ancillary benefits- and far more cash than the IMO fee.REPS benefit, Chapter 35 refund, funeral costs, and a complete refund of the FTCA offset amount.

And Peace with Honor for my husband.There is no Honor in a death by VA.

Edited by Berta

So, I guess the takeaway here is that his $9k per person fee IS reasonable considering the amount of work? 

I had sent the good Doctor all of our info and planned on trying to take out a loan or something to try and pay for the fees but it's just not possible right now. I even floated an alternative arrangement to him but he has not yet responded. I do not anticipate a favorable response but if you don't ask...

Anyway, I will start working on our paperwork more diligently. It's all still very confusing and I have a limited amount of time in my days to work on this.  I have to keep stopping to look up all the acronyms you use in your replies! LOL

I'll figure it out, eventually.

All of my posts are still being vetted through the moderator so it's a little slow going for now. Kinda makes for stilted communication.

Ms Berta: To answer your earlier question, I can scan but I could not redact. I'm getting some toner refill for my printer today and hope to have a few good redacted scans of our denial letters for your review.  Is this something I can attach/post here on this thread or is it better to send via PM?

Not sure the accepted protocol here.

Edited by Merc

Please post it here as an attachment. I dont do PMs and that way all here can review the decision. 

We  mainly need to see the Rationale they gave for the denial and what is listed in the evidence list.

If you cover the C file #, and your name etc with a little piece of paper,prior to scanning- we can review it- to see why they denied.

You can scan it, name your PC file for it and then use the "choose files"  thing below:

Ms. Berta: My scan will be delayed. The denials have identifying info on EACH page so I need to print and redact. I've ordered some new toner for my printer. I should be in business sometime next week.

In the meantime, just trying to collect my thoughts and find a starting point for all of this.

Since I'm working both of our claims, I want to keep it all separate so it's easier to follow. I suppose I can start different threads in order to keep it all organized.

Still waiting to have my "probationary period" removed by the moderators so that I can respond more quickly.  One of my posts on page 4 is still in "hidden" status while another on page 5 is not. Both are an hour old.

Edited by Merc

This acronym list should help: