VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just joined the board

Rate this question

Merc

Question

Hello all, Just joined the board. Stumbled on here after getting fed up with VA and their nonsense.

Since I started reading, I've made a leap of faith and reached out to a few of the respected doctors for some assistance with putting our stuff together. So far, Dr. Bash has been the most responsive. After speaking with me and my wife, he thinks he can move us both from 20% to 100%... It's not cheap - quoted $18k!!  But if he can deliver and maybe even get us some retro, it may be worth it.

Figured I'd chronicle the adventure here for the benefit of others.

• HadIt.com Elder

thanks Oceanbound for giving a real personal story of what it is like to get what you deserve from the VA. It isn't easy dealing with the VA, and I'd bet my last nickel that it never will. But this community helps those who reach out to it and tries to make it a little easier, and hopefully, a little less wasted effort/time for the veteran. Again, it is encouraging to hear what others have experienced and are willing to share that knowledge with us.

An IMO/nexus exam from Doctor bash is a nuclear bomb. I contacted him on the 12th, he called me back the same day, reviewed my records than filled out a 21-2680. I was awarded smc-t with that alone. The reason his costs are so hi is 1 he has a team so you get 3 pieces of evidence which includes a statement from a lay person. the next reason is because his resume. his resume is about three pages long i have to upload it to show you. he is able to state he is far more qualified than the people completing the exams and they have to respect it his writte up including statement from doctors.and other evidence. and than his own opinion. It was so thourough that the rsvr (a retired infantry 1sg) called and we talked and he verified everything over the phone. I would look into it

cv-pt 2019.doc

Yes he is extremely thorough-his IMos are definitely the first good read of any veteran's medical records( and SMRs if needed)

He did my IMOs fast as well-

We had a brief email exchange and he said 'if you have that, this is a good case"

I had "that" and had  prepared a cover letter ,before I contacted him, that revealed a timeline and direct references to VA medical records in the stack, which I tabbed, to prove the VA had malpracticed on my husband's DMII from AO,never diagnosed or treated by VA.

I had already proved under FTCA that my husband;s death was caused by the VA, due to multiple malpractices on his HBP, Stroke, IHD, and medication errors-without an IMO but I knew the VA would give me a hard time on this new claim-and they did.

My daughter, a veteran, insisted I review the Med recs again, and  claim  the DMII AO as a direct service connected death. The BVA agreed.

There is no honor in a wrongful death- because it reveals the very system that you men and women created by your service- the VA, - is capable of also malpracticing  on the very veterans, who continue to use the VA medical system. Finally my husband  has Peace with Honor . The ancillary benefits with this award were far greater than the 1151 award.

Thanks to all of you for the great responses! I was a little sidetracked with some other issues for the past week so I neglected to check in...

So to recap:

- My wife and I called Dr. Bash. I am 20% SC and she is 20% SC. We each have several other issues we need help with. Our records are a disorganized mess.

-Dr. Bash wants $18k total or $9k per person. He is amenable to a payment plan and has been very accommodating in addressing our concerns.

-Some board members think his fees are too high. Others feel he is worth the expense.

-We've been going back and forth (incorrectly) with the VA for 20 years. Because we do not know what we are doing

-This community can probably help us to get a little more organized and save us some cash

Questions:

1. How much time should we expect to spend organizing and preparing our files for review by the Doctor?

2. If we did our own prep and had the Doctor finalize the issue what sort of time frame should we expect?

3. Would having the Doctor do everything from start to finish expedite the process? My understanding is that he had a network of experts that would be involved at all of the steps of the process from start to finish- even looking to see if retro back-pay would be possible.

Edited by Merc
corrections

1. It really depends on how much you are talking about and how much of it you already have. And how fast you can type, summarize, etc.

2. Less than 

3. If he does it all himself. Plus less expensive. Consider that its not going to be the doctor going through every note, etc, most likely its going to be his staff, secretary(s), document preparers, etc, so, most likely for the grunt work people not much if any more qualified than you are- except you work for 'free' and they don't. 

That's been sort of my concern. My c-file is 1800 pages long. It's mostly jibberish to me. I have yet to secure my wife's c-file and I anticipate it being MUCH larger than mine.  Just feels so daunting.

After looking at what people here are saying it appears many folks are in the $5-7k range to have IMO, IME, misc Dr. visits, tests, scans, etc.  Wonder if Dr. B really isn't THAT much more expensive than DIY.

So, now I need to find out most recent denials and post them here so they can be reviewed. (It will be ugly- I guarantee that! LOL)