VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Watched Pot Never Boils...

Rate this question

Indy_CV62_OS

Question

I'm not sure that PTSD includes obsessive behavior but watching Metrics and va.gov several times a day is not gonna get it anymore.  As best as I can tell, my Appeal will take at least another 14 months or so to reach the Board.  I just hope that others are able to maintain their sanity....The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and then expecting a different result...it's very difficult to wait them out.  We have to believe that the people at VA are trying to work on the backlog and providing whatever service they can to those of us who have Served.

I have to rest on that.  I'm Praying for DRO Grant but I'm expecting my Appeal to be Certified soon.  I think that when we cross into the next step, this gives us some reassurance and a little peace.  As long as we can fully understand each step and communicate with our Advocate, everything should work out.  It really is about doing the time and waiting out the process.  

@Indy_CV62_OS, as I and others have told people you need to get a hobby because watching vets.gov is counter productive.  It will only add to your stress.  I also am waiting on a DRO hearing that is expected to be 10 to 26 months.  This is pitiful.  But there is not much we can do about it.  Hang tough.

Edited by vetquest

I've rested on my previous post, however, I had to at least reach out to the Board and get a few things cleared up.  This may benefit anybody else in the Legacy Appeals Program.

When my Lawyer submitted the Form 9, we did in fact secure a place in line.  I called the Board and even got my docket number.  The number is 800-923-8387

The logjam is with the DRO.  There is no published wait time for Appeal Certification.  Essentially, the Board can't do anything until the RO Certifies the Appeal.  Now, there is always the possibility of a Grant on Appeal by the DRO.  This seems to be borne out of several factors.  1) Congress pulled the plug on bonuses.  2) Congress has pressured VBA to get all Legacy Appeals completed no later than FY 2020.

Wish there was a way to muster all of the Form 9 peeps so that they can post their date.  My Form 9 was received by VBA in Nov. 2017.

Next step in the process is either a DRO Grant with SSOC or Certification.  From what I can scrounge up on the web, Certification takes about 22 months.  The little counter on the bottom of the page of va.gov shows where you are in line.  My counter shows 108,433 appeals ahead of mine.  The Metrics page shows that the Board is dispatching about 1760 cases each week.  Some quick math puts me at about 61 to 62 weeks.  But, without Certification, that counter really is not useful.  Hope this helps others.

While doing more research, it seems that IU is not very difficult for me to get.  I have one disability at 50% and another at 10%.  All the DRO has to do is to SC my collapsed lungs at 30% or Grant 20% for lungs and increase Asthma to 20%.  I have to say that the Disability Calculator here at Hadit is a great tool.  I have to believe that RO's are getting pressure to clear up the Legacy backlog.  Just in case you did not know: IU (Individual Unemployability) is at least one SC Disability Rated at 60% or two or more disabilities that total 70% with one disability at least at 40% and you can show that you cannot work anymore.  IU is paid at 100%.

Now upon further research, it is better for all of us to achieve Scheduler 100%.  This would give us protection from a down grade out of 100%.  I love what Chris Attig is doing for all of us and it was he who had said that even if we cross the IU barrier, we must continue to file for increased ratings.  Using the calculator, you can easily figure out how a combination of Disabilities would get you to Scheduler 100%.  So, let's hope that the DRO's can clean things up by just Granting a few conditions on our Legacy Appeals.

I'd like to see more of you who are in the same boat do some posting here.  At some point, all of us are going to spot trends with the VA, either at the DRO or the Board.

Edited by Indy_CV62_OS

2 hours ago, kanewnut said:

That is the kicker.

I'm already on SSDI.  I would think that it should not be too big of a reach to get IU.  It's on my Appeal and all the DRO has to do is to raise Asthma to 40 or SC the collapsed lungs at 30% and I'm at 70.  I'm already 60 combined.  Gotta believe that DRO would just Grant what's on Appeal.