VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc rehab IWRP to ILP question

Rate this question

Sawgunner5

Question

I am currently 100 % tdiu p&t smc-s. I was attending class last winter term but because of taking prescription Pregabalin for nerve pains it caused me to fail in school due to side effects. Doctors still don’t know what my nerve problem is from and haven’t found right treatment to ease pain along with muscle twitches. 

I ask my voc counselor to be in ILP. He first lied and said I was to severe for voc rehab including ILP. I referenced 38 cfr 21.60 and he changed tone and said it will be a long process. 3 weeks later he said he was hesitant to put me on ILP. He said I needed my primary care to fill out questionnaire. He also said I am eligible for ILP because I have serious employment handicap (SEH) but that I wasn’t entitled. What does that mean? He now put me in interrupted status with intent to discontinue. Anyone been through this kind of treatment? 

Also in my ILP request I asked for further treatment outside VA, or naturalpathic and holistic care. Also for ketamine shots that VA has done clinical trials on but does not provide it. 

2004-2009

10th mtn 2-4 INF 

11B -E5

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

You posted:

I ask my voc counselor to be in ILP. He first lied and said I was to severe for voc rehab including ILP. I referenced 38 cfr 21.60 and he changed tone and said it will be a long process

First, you dont "ask your counselor" to "be on ILP".  You have to apply, then file a nod if denied.  

At least as important, your counselor has shown you he cant be trusted.  Therefore, when he tells you something again, look at what he says suspiciously.  It sounds like he is "saving himself work" and saving on his budget to lie to you.  

This is consistent with what other VA employees tell Vets, and they wonder why Vets dont trust VA?  

ILP is for severely disabled Vets, and, even tho its administered by voc rehab, it has nothing to do with rehabilitating you for work.  The assumption with ILP is that you cant work, but you need help "with independent living".  

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with broncovet

ILP IS TO MAKE THE VETERANS LIFE MORE CONMFORTABLE IN WHICH TO LIVE .

IF YOU NEED ANYTHING  SAY FOR A HOBBY  WHEN YOUR IN ILP THEN ASK FOR IT AND KEEP ASKING UNTIL YOU GET IT..

These things can be expensive  as long as its what you need to help your life be a little better  or cope better with your S.C. Disability.

3 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I agree with broncovet

ILP IS TO MAKE THE VETERANS LIFE MORE CONMFORTABLE IN WHICH TO LIVE .

IF YOU NEED ANYTHING  SAY FOR A HOBBY  WHEN YOUR IN ILP THEN ASK FOR IT AND KEEP ASKING UNTIL YOU GET IT..

These things can be expensive  as long as its what you need to help your life be a little better  or cope better with your S.C. Disability.

I was denied a basic hobby of photography even after my psychiatrist and g.p. wrote letters that it was a perfect hobby for someone with my disabilities, their reason.......I hadn't actively been participating in the hobby in the 6 months prior to applying for voc. rehab.  I had been so sick I hadn't been able to do anything more than keep myself alive honestly.  My ILP has been a joke, no one ever came to do an in home assessment,  I have to beg for anything, they don't assist me with any of my healthcare needs, nothing.  Every item I have requested, they find the cheapest item to replace the item I request, my neuro put in for noise canceling blue tooth headphones because of my severe migraines and my need for audio books so double duty, they sent me the cheapest skull candy in ear head phones lol......my 10 year old has better headphones.  My counselor has no idea what she is doing and I don't even know how to fight them anymore.  I guess by their reasoning, a person who just spend 2 years in the hospital can't receive anything for a hobby because they just spend too much time trying to get well and rehabilitate to actually have a hobby??  Pathetic really.  Just another way the VA can screw over the most disabled of us veterans.  Deny and deny. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Seminoles

You may want to just scroll down a little or just read the whole thing  its an interesting read by Asknod.org

https://asknod.org/2014/06/03/va-ilp-the-secret-handshake/

Edited by Buck52