VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BWN AO ACT passes House of Reps!

Rate this question

Berta

Question

https://www.informnny.com/news/blue-water-navy-vietnam-veterans-act-passes-house-of-representatives/2003742731

Maybe there will be no need for the Secretary to pursue fighting the Procopio decision........

This is Big news but all I have so far........

• HadIt.com Elder

https://ptsdlawyers.com/blog/the-impact-of-procopio-v-wilkie/

Interesting Read.

Source: Berry Law Firm

Yes, and the news is starting to spread on the vet sites:

https://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/house-again-passes-blue-water-navy-benefits-bill-with-unanimous-support-1.581019

What they refer to ,in the link is whether Sec. Wilkie will actually fight the Procopio decision in the Supreme Court.

He asked for an extension to do that after he said he would Not fight Procopio.

I just hope the regulations ( if this passes the Senate) will involve Nehmer.

• HadIt.com Elder

IMHO the Senate isn't going to let what happened last year to happen to this one. I believe the Senators took a lot of heat. With the House passing it 400 something to zero, there is going to be a heck of a back lash if it doesn't pass again this year. Rightfully so. As the saying goes, "if you don't take care of the veterans after they have made their sacrifices, you wont have to worry about that for future veterans. There wont be any."

Secretary Wilkie did not appeal Procopio either

I just read a law review site that held some odd info-it is from April-2019

They say that 50, 000-to 90,000 veterans will be affected by both of these rulings.

That might be correct- but they also have to consider the surviving spouses as well who would be affected.

The article says the above figure is from claimants who were excluded from AO in the past,(due to no boots on ground.)

The  article also states:

"Wilkie recently said 51,000 claims are being processed."

https://www.law.com/nationallawjournal/2019/04/04/justice-dept-faces-pressure-to-resist-appealing-vietnam-vets-landmark-victory/

I do not see how that can be an accurate statement.

Perhaps the VA's are sorting out past AO denials to BWNs.

They (the ROs) were supposed to do that over Nehmer 2010 and contact the claimants. I bet they did not contact many of them.

Are you telling me that Essential 
Tremors are now being considered an AO disability - does this bill need Presidential signature - Senate approval?

How soon will the claims begin to flow? I've tried to make a claim for 6 years - never any help from the VA - thank you.

Secretary Wilkie did not appeal Procopio either

I just read a law review site that held some odd info-I dont want to post the link because I do notknow what evidence the statements were based on.

They say that 50, 000-to 90,000 veterans will be affected by both pf these ruling.

That might be correct- but they also have to consider the surviving spouses as well that would be affected.

The article says the above figure is from claimants who were excluded from AO in the past,due to no boots on ground.

The article says Sec Wilkie said that 51,000