Jump to content
  • 0

What can GERD be secondary to?


shrekthetank1

Question

  • Moderator

So I just realized my doctor said I have GERD.  She also said those with IBS will have GERD at some point.  So not sure if it is secondary to this or not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
28 minutes ago, shrekthetank1 said:

So I just realized my doctor said I have GERD.  She also said those with IBS will have GERD at some point.  So not sure if it is secondary to this or not?

Did your Dr.  just say it or did she make the diagnosis? Is it in your treatment records is what I'm asking.

There's some bad news and good news. 

I take it you are SC for IBS? If you are, GERD is not secondary to IBS. I know I know...why the heck not? 

 

When rating conditions of the digestive system, it is important to note that a single condition can only be rated ONE time. This principle is particularly important in the digestive system, because a condition in the stomach and a condition in the large intestine can cause the same symptoms. Contrary to what you think, though, both CANNOT be rated. In this case, same symptoms, same condition. Only one rating allowed.

In addition to this principle, the following codes cannot be used together (only one of them can be used at a time): 7301-7329, 7331, 7342, and 7345-7348. If you have two conditions make sure to check that they aren’t both one of these. If there are multiple conditions that have these codes, use the one that gives the highest rating.

Gerd falls under code 7342

IBS is 7319 which falls under codes 7301-7329.

 

 

Here's the Good News:

If you have a SC condition that requires you to be on medications. GERD can be secondary to that SC condition. Those medications CAN worsen GERD.

Hope this helps.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

Shrek GERD can be connected also to code 7346, related to hiatal hernia under CFR 4.114 From what I have found so far, a common secondary from taking some meds, sometimes for PTSD treatment over time. I don't know if you served in Nam or not, but I have not yet found any connection to A.O. If you are diagnosed by VA for GERD, they should prescrib meds; I have taken Pantoprozole for years and it does help keep the acid reflux under control. Sometimes it can develope  into Barrett's Syndrome which  can then turn into throat cancer. Certainly doesn't happen all the time, but you want to stay on top of this. Good luck brother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator
5 hours ago, doc25 said:

Did your Dr.  just say it or did she make the diagnosis? Is it in your treatment records is what I'm asking.

There's some bad news and good news. 

I take it you are SC for IBS? If you are, GERD is not secondary to IBS. I know I know...why the heck not? 

 

When rating conditions of the digestive system, it is important to note that a single condition can only be rated ONE time. This principle is particularly important in the digestive system, because a condition in the stomach and a condition in the large intestine can cause the same symptoms. Contrary to what you think, though, both CANNOT be rated. In this case, same symptoms, same condition. Only one rating allowed.

In addition to this principle, the following codes cannot be used together (only one of them can be used at a time): 7301-7329, 7331, 7342, and 7345-7348. If you have two conditions make sure to check that they aren’t both one of these. If there are multiple conditions that have these codes, use the one that gives the highest rating.

Gerd falls under code 7342

IBS is 7319 which falls under codes 7301-7329.

 

 

Here's the Good News:

If you have a SC condition that requires you to be on medications. GERD can be secondary to that SC condition. Those medications CAN worsen GERD.

Hope this helps.

I will have to look through the records, but she sent me a years prescription for medicine for GERD.  

yes I am for IBS, and I see how it correlates.  

As for meds I have been on Ibuprophen for years.  And nortriptoline.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator
1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

Shrek GERD can be connected also to code 7346, related to hiatal hernia under CFR 4.114 From what I have found so far, a common secondary from taking some meds, sometimes for PTSD treatment over time. I don't know if you served in Nam or not, but I have not yet found any connection to A.O. If you are diagnosed by VA for GERD, they should prescrib meds; I have taken Pantoprozole for years and it does help keep the acid reflux under control. Sometimes it can develope  into Barrett's Syndrome which  can then turn into throat cancer. Certainly doesn't happen all the time, but you want to stay on top of this. Good luck brother.

I was OIF.  I just got the same meds you have.  I did see a couple citations where PTSD as aggravating the GERD.  I will have to do some more digging.  Thanks guys!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, shrekthetank1 said:

I was OIF.  I just got the same meds you have.  I did see a couple citations where PTSD as aggravating the GERD.  I will have to do some more digging.  Thanks guys!

No problem.

What disabilities are you SC with? There's always a secondary connection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

PTSD, ibs, collagen vascular disease(skin), tinnitus, fibro, and left knee.  Hypertension, scarring and headaches.   On appeal for sleep apnea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 minutes ago, shrekthetank1 said:

PTSD, ibs, collagen vascular disease(skin), tinnitus, fibro, and left knee.  Hypertension, scarring and headaches.   On appeal for sleep apnea. 

For your appeal is it for Sleep Apnea as secondary to PTSD? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

GERD should likely have a connection with PTSD, IBS, because of the meds you take.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator
1 hour ago, doc25 said:

For your appeal is it for Sleep Apnea as secondary to PTSD? 

Yes it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
25 minutes ago, shrekthetank1 said:

Yes it is. 

Wonderful! I believe I read you had done so in another post. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines