VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What can GERD be secondary to?

Rate this question

ShrekTheTank

Question

28 minutes ago, shrekthetank1 said:

So I just realized my doctor said I have GERD.  She also said those with IBS will have GERD at some point.  So not sure if it is secondary to this or not?

Did your Dr.  just say it or did she make the diagnosis? Is it in your treatment records is what I'm asking.

There's some bad news and good news. 

I take it you are SC for IBS? If you are, GERD is not secondary to IBS. I know I know...why the heck not? 

When rating conditions of the digestive system, it is important to note that a single condition can only be rated ONE time. This principle is particularly important in the digestive system, because a condition in the stomach and a condition in the large intestine can cause the same symptoms. Contrary to what you think, though, both CANNOT be rated. In this case, same symptoms, same condition. Only one rating allowed.

In addition to this principle, the following codes cannot be used together (only one of them can be used at a time): 7301-7329, 7331, 7342, and 7345-7348. If you have two conditions make sure to check that they aren’t both one of these. If there are multiple conditions that have these codes, use the one that gives the highest rating.

Gerd falls under code 7342

IBS is 7319 which falls under codes 7301-7329.

Here's the Good News:

If you have a SC condition that requires you to be on medications. GERD can be secondary to that SC condition. Those medications CAN worsen GERD.

Hope this helps.

• HadIt.com Elder

Shrek GERD can be connected also to code 7346, related to hiatal hernia under CFR 4.114 From what I have found so far, a common secondary from taking some meds, sometimes for PTSD treatment over time. I don't know if you served in Nam or not, but I have not yet found any connection to A.O. If you are diagnosed by VA for GERD, they should prescrib meds; I have taken Pantoprozole for years and it does help keep the acid reflux under control. Sometimes it can develope  into Barrett's Syndrome which  can then turn into throat cancer. Certainly doesn't happen all the time, but you want to stay on top of this. Good luck brother.

• Lead Moderator
5 hours ago, doc25 said:

Did your Dr.  just say it or did she make the diagnosis? Is it in your treatment records is what I'm asking.

There's some bad news and good news. 

I take it you are SC for IBS? If you are, GERD is not secondary to IBS. I know I know...why the heck not? 

When rating conditions of the digestive system, it is important to note that a single condition can only be rated ONE time. This principle is particularly important in the digestive system, because a condition in the stomach and a condition in the large intestine can cause the same symptoms. Contrary to what you think, though, both CANNOT be rated. In this case, same symptoms, same condition. Only one rating allowed.

In addition to this principle, the following codes cannot be used together (only one of them can be used at a time): 7301-7329, 7331, 7342, and 7345-7348. If you have two conditions make sure to check that they aren’t both one of these. If there are multiple conditions that have these codes, use the one that gives the highest rating.

Gerd falls under code 7342

IBS is 7319 which falls under codes 7301-7329.

Here's the Good News:

If you have a SC condition that requires you to be on medications. GERD can be secondary to that SC condition. Those medications CAN worsen GERD.

Hope this helps.

I will have to look through the records, but she sent me a years prescription for medicine for GERD.  

yes I am for IBS, and I see how it correlates.  

As for meds I have been on Ibuprophen for years.  And nortriptoline.  

• Lead Moderator
1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

Shrek GERD can be connected also to code 7346, related to hiatal hernia under CFR 4.114 From what I have found so far, a common secondary from taking some meds, sometimes for PTSD treatment over time. I don't know if you served in Nam or not, but I have not yet found any connection to A.O. If you are diagnosed by VA for GERD, they should prescrib meds; I have taken Pantoprozole for years and it does help keep the acid reflux under control. Sometimes it can develope  into Barrett's Syndrome which  can then turn into throat cancer. Certainly doesn't happen all the time, but you want to stay on top of this. Good luck brother.

I was OIF.  I just got the same meds you have.  I did see a couple citations where PTSD as aggravating the GERD.  I will have to do some more digging.  Thanks guys!

6 hours ago, shrekthetank1 said:

I was OIF.  I just got the same meds you have.  I did see a couple citations where PTSD as aggravating the GERD.  I will have to do some more digging.  Thanks guys!

No problem.

What disabilities are you SC with? There's always a secondary connection.