VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA education

Rate this question

vetquest

Question

As a 100% disabled veteran not yet at retirement age can I request college courses for a degree?  I am 100% P&T and receive SMC for UI, which I would lose if I became employed but with a degree I could find employment that would more than make up for losing SMC and SS.  I now have two grandchildren to support and money is getting tight enough that I would go back to work if I could find a job where they would work with me.  I would have to probably be checked out to see if I could make it through school.  Any advice?

Edited by vetquest

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe you can vetquest  you should have got a educational allowance letter when you were awarded the SMC,

Also your spouse and children can get higher learning education paid by the VA

If your raising your grandchildren  you may want to look into being there legal guardian and claim them as dependents that helps out a little.

As I understand they can't take away your IU if you peruse  your education. but other elder members can chime in here  I am not 100% sure on this.?

I just had the oppsite happen to me I got a degree before I got disable and  before filed for my VA comp  Benefits, it was when I was trying to get a job after I got my degree  and  then my disability worsen to where I could not work if I was paid Million dollars a year

I used the old GI Bill and went back to school in the mid 70s  & as the years went by I got to where I could no longer do any type of work especially my Criminal Justice Degree..I actually went to long before I did file for my VA Comp Benefits.

if your still young and want to better yourself and family  I say go for the degree you want.

@vetquest You may want to look at applying for federal jobs in your area. As a disabled vet you have several ways to be hired. If you think you may be interested look at this link: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/veterans/ You should set it up to send you daily job announcements via email. I know you live in TN but there may be federal agencies in your area. Plus if hired the government is really good about supplying reasonable commendations.  I have been working from home for over 1 1/2 years from my commendations, mind you not all jobs allow you to work from home. Plus medical insurance starts on day one if hired no matter what your disabilities are.