VA and other insurance

jfrei

Question

So the new thing when I check into the VA is do I have insurance anywhere else and now being an ssdi recipient for two years I’m now receiving Medicare. Anyone know when I go to my appointment and tell them this what exactly will change I’m not being billed for anything ever being 100 P and T?

• Thanks 1

12 answers to this question

Its like having Tricare...they want to bill the other company first. I am asked every time I see a doctor on base. You won't pay anything. 

• Thanks 1

The va cannot bill you for anything because you are rated 50% or more.  If however a veteran is rated under 50% they may  be required to pay a fee for medications and  for non service connected medical care. Veterans rated 100% or TDIU will not pay any fees for any care.  Other than that, Veterans don't pay for medical care at the VA.  As to medical care on a military base.. retirees do have a deductible that they must meet. If however a retiree has Tricare and  private medical insurance or Medicare,  the will not pay any out of pocket expenses.  

• Thanks 1

I declined my medicare and don't pay the premiums anymore........it is worthless to me honestly at this point I couldn't find shit for providers and in order to find any I had to buy a medicare advantage plan that cost $$$ and when I turn 65 I won't have to pay the penalty for opting out when I was eligible for SSDI, so I stopped wasting my money every month. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, seminoles said:

when I turn 65 I won't have to pay the penalty for opting out when I was eligible for SSDI

I hope you checked this out before you opted out.. I could be wrong but I think your opting out anytime you are eligible  will end up causing you to pay more when you decide to opt in...Now I know that Military retirees have to opt in when they become eligible( regardless if on SSDI or plain SS.) or they can not use tricare for life.... 

2 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

I hope you checked this out before you opted out.. I could be wrong but I think your opting out anytime you are eligible  will end up causing you to pay more when you decide to opt in...Now I know that Military retirees have to opt in when they become eligible( regardless if on SSDI or plain SS.) or they can not use tricare for life.... 

That is a different circumstance, they have to opt in at retirement age just like my husband has to with champva, I can opt back in without penalty when I reach retirement age.  Very different situations.

2 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

And of course I checked into in and asked for documentation from the SS office to verify it when I opted out.  One thing I am not is an idiot or someone who does something willy nilly to save a few bucks now to screw myself later.

Ok I said no and they signed me up for it anyways so then there’s that...

On 5/21/2019 at 2:00 PM, jfrei said:

So the new thing when I check into the VA is do I have insurance anywhere else and now being an ssdi recipient for two years I’m now receiving Medicare. Anyone know when I go to my appointment and tell them this what exactly will change I’m not being billed for anything ever being 100 P and T?

yes you need to let them know if you have any private insurance or medicare.

usually they ask  but some clerks don't do their job right and just there for a paycheck.

It’s always the first question they ask I just got my issued ID card. It actually says it began in May. I just didn’t want to get in trouble for having it from May-July which apparently i should have said yes but I didn’t have the actual card with the number on it until the beginning of August snail mail.... thought mail delays was a VA thing not a SSA

On 8/3/2019 at 10:48 AM, seminoles said:

I had to file paperwork to decline it

What I don’t understand is that the attorney called me and ssa did and I said no. But I’m better safe then sorry it is nice to have a piece of mind at 33 I have a. Long life to make it for my family before they can get DIC benefits which I believe I i have a good amount of years left to be guaranteed for them. We have been married for 8 years two kids 4 and 4 and I’ve been permanent and total since Nov. 2016? Is it 20 years at P and T or 10? I can remember

1 hour ago, jfrei said:

thought mail delays was a VA thing not a SSA

It's a government thing, my agency is just as slow.