VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Navy89

Question

I have a rating for 10% for:. right knee patellofemoral syndrome, claimed as gout and iliotibial band syndrome

Is it common for VA to group conditions, can these be separated?

Thanks for the assist...

50 minutes ago, Navy89 said:

I have a rating for 10% for:. right knee patellofemoral syndrome, claimed as gout and iliotibial band syndrome

Is it common for VA to group conditions, can these be separated?

Thanks for the assist...

Gout is a form of arthritis caused by high levels of uric acid in the body. Gout falls under diagnostic code 5017, but it is supposed to be rated under 5002 Atrophic Rheumatoid Arthritis. Gout must be rated seperately.

5017 Gout.

The diseases under diagnostic codes 5013 through 5024 will be rated on limitation of motion of affected parts, as arthritis, degenerative, except gout which will be rated under diagnostic code 5002.

5002 Arthritis rheumatoid (atrophic) as an active process

With constitutional manifestations associated with
active joint involvement, totally incapacitating.................................................... 100 

Less than criteria for 100% but with weight loss and anemia
productive of severe impairment of health or severely
incapacitating exacerbations occurring 4 or more times a 
year or a lesser number over prolonged periods.................................................... 60

Symptom combinations productive of definite impairment of 
health objectively supported by examination findings or
incapacitating exacerbations occurring 3 or more times a year................................ 40 

One or two exacerbations a year in a well-established diagnosis............................. 20 
For chronic residuals:

For residuals such as limitation of motion or ankylosis, favorable or unfavorable, rate under the appropriate diagnostic codes for the specific joints involved. Where, however, the limitation of motion of the specific joint or joints involved is noncompensable under the codes a rating of 10 percent is for application for each such major joint or group of minor joints affected by limitation of motion, to be combined, not added under diagnostic code 5002. Limitation of motion must be objectively confirmed by findings such as swelling, muscle spasm, or satisfactory evidence of painful motion.

Note: The ratings for the active process will not be combined with the residual ratings for limitation of motion or ankylosis. Assign the higher evaluation.

IBS and PFS involving the knee can't be seperated, BUT keep in mind that the opposite knee eventually will begin to cause you problems, on a secondary basis caused by your Left Knee.

Your left knee can also cause hip and lower back problems, eventually, as well. 

14 hours ago, shrekthetank1 said:

this is a good question, but I am assuming something happened to your knee to cause iliotibial band syndrome?  Do you have two different disabilities in your knee?  Do you have gout?  

Yes, I have gout and attacks in most if not all my joints.  I was just curious as to why there is a group of three and gout, I would think is not in the family.

allergic rhinitis 0% Service Connected   08/01/2009
right elbow gout 10% Service Connected   11/02/2009
right hip degenerative arthritis 10% Service Connected   04/12/2010
right knee patellofemoral syndrome, claimed as gout and iliotibial band syndrome 10% Service Connected   08/01/2009
left knee gout 10% Service Connected   11/02/2009
gout, left foot 0% Service Connected   11/02/2009
gout, right foot 0% Service Connected   11/02/2009
facial hyperpigmentation claimed as melasma and cholasma faciei 30% Service Connected   08/01/2009
post operative bunionectomy scar, right great toe 0% Service Connected   08/01/2009
left elbow bursitis/strain also claimed as gout 10% Service Connected   08/01/2009
right hallux valgus post bunionectomy 10% Service Connected   08/01/2009
hypertension 0% Service Connected   08/01/2009
left hallux valgus 0% Service Connected   08/01/2009

Just now, Navy89 said:
allergic rhinitis 0% Service Connected   08/01/2009
right elbow gout 10% Service Connected   11/02/2009
right hip degenerative arthritis 10% Service Connected   04/12/2010
right knee patellofemoral syndrome, claimed as gout and iliotibial band syndrome 10% Service Connected   08/01/2009
left knee gout 10% Service Connected   11/02/2009
gout, left foot 0% Service Connected   11/02/2009
gout, right foot 0% Service Connected   11/02/2009
facial hyperpigmentation claimed as melasma and cholasma faciei 30% Service Connected   08/01/2009
post operative bunionectomy scar, right great toe 0% Service Connected   08/01/2009
left elbow bursitis/strain also claimed as gout 10% Service Connected   08/01/2009
right hallux valgus post bunionectomy 10% Service Connected   08/01/2009
hypertension 0% Service Connected   08/01/2009
left hallux valgus 0% Service Connected  

08/01/2009

as you can see, there are several grouped together...which probably should be listed separately

9 hours ago, Navy89 said:

as you can see, there are several grouped together...which probably should be listed separately

You can try to get them listed seperately, but if they're grouped together, it's likely that they are secondary conditions. Secondary conditions get their own ratings anyway.

You are very fortunate to have that many issues service connected AND secondary connected. All you really need to do is request increases, when the medical evidence clearly shows worsening of symptoms.

Refer to the Gout ratings that I provided. Do you believe your gout symptoms have worsened over the past 3-6 months? Have you been seen at least twice or more a month for exacerbations of your gout?? 

I see you're 0% for Allergic Rhinitis. Code 6522: Allergic or vasomotor rhinitis is the swelling of the tissues lining the nasal passage because of allergies or other inhaled triggers like smoke, fumes, etc. This causes the nose to become stuffy and runny. If the rhinitis is fairly constant and there are growths forming in the tissues, it is rated 30%. If there are no growths in the tissues, but 50% of the nasal passages on both sides or 100% on one side is blocked, it is rated 10%.

I'd see about getting Allergic Rhinitis increased to 10%.

Have you been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and require a "medically necessary" CPAP machince? You may be able to secondary service connect Sleep Apnea to Allergic rhinitis.

Read this VA case for a better understanding of what I mean. https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/Files3/1618940.txt