VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Navy89

Question

I have a rating for 10% for:. right knee patellofemoral syndrome, claimed as gout and iliotibial band syndrome

Is it common for VA to group conditions, can these be separated?

Thanks for the assist...

59 minutes ago, doc25 said:

to

59 minutes ago, doc25 said:

You can try to get them listed seperately, but if they're grouped together, it's likely that they are secondary conditions. Secondary conditions get their own ratings anyway.

You are very fortunate to have that many issues service connected AND secondary connected. All you really need to do is request increases, when the medical evidence clearly shows worsening of symptoms.

Refer to the Gout ratings that I provided. Do you believe your gout symptoms have worsened over the past 3-6 months? Have you been seen at least twice or more a month for exacerbations of your gout?? 

I see you're 0% for Allergic Rhinitis. Code 6522: Allergic or vasomotor rhinitis is the swelling of the tissues lining the nasal passage because of allergies or other inhaled triggers like smoke, fumes, etc. This causes the nose to become stuffy and runny. If the rhinitis is fairly constant and there are growths forming in the tissues, it is rated 30%. If there are no growths in the tissues, but 50% of the nasal passages on both sides or 100% on one side is blocked, it is rated 10%.

I'd see about getting Allergic Rhinitis increased to 10%.

Have you been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and require a "medically necessary" CPAP machince? You may be able to secondary service connect Sleep Apnea to Allergic rhinitis.

Read this VA case for a better understanding of what I mean. https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/Files3/1618940.txt

Several months ago I went to my doctor for a left ankle gout attack.  I luckily saw his PA and he asked so many questions and Drew some blood.  Next appt he said I needed to have a calcium test on my heart...I freaked out and finally admitted to my self...I need help and in bad shape, in many ways.  Had to get a stress test on the heart and in the pre questionnaire it asked about my sleep.... I have had sleep apnea for many years.. And I was skinny!  Allergic rhinitis has always been my problem...I have severe sleep apnea

1 hour ago, doc25 said:

You can try to get them listed seperately, but if they're grouped together, it's likely that they are secondary conditions. Secondary conditions get their own ratings anyway.

You are very fortunate to have that many issues service connected AND secondary connected. All you really need to do is request increases, when the medical evidence clearly shows worsening of symptoms.

Refer to the Gout ratings that I provided. Do you believe your gout symptoms have worsened over the past 3-6 months? Have you been seen at least twice or more a month for exacerbations of your gout?? 

I see you're 0% for Allergic Rhinitis. Code 6522: Allergic or vasomotor rhinitis is the swelling of the tissues lining the nasal passage because of allergies or other inhaled triggers like smoke, fumes, etc. This causes the nose to become stuffy and runny. If the rhinitis is fairly constant and there are growths forming in the tissues, it is rated 30%. If there are no growths in the tissues, but 50% of the nasal passages on both sides or 100% on one side is blocked, it is rated 10%.

I'd see about getting Allergic Rhinitis increased to 10%.

Have you been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and require a "medically necessary" CPAP machince? You may be able to secondary service connect Sleep Apnea to Allergic rhinitis.

Read this VA case for a better understanding of what I mean. https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/Files3/1618940.txt

Thanks for your assistance... From all I have read... My secondary sleep apnea will be a battle from my allergic rhinitis... This one will probably be lawyer worthy

The va will always try their best to rate two or more conditions as one condition, especially were the conditions all came from the same injury or are  in the same body group ( ie: respiratory issues)

I don't know how you would get an increase in your ratings, unless you could show that they have worsened.  While the hardest part of a claim is proving service connection, its still harder to get an increase in conditions that are already service connected. For example today I had a C/p for a knee issues that was rated 10% in 1986 for torn meniscus , the examiner stated there are no mri's for the right knee that show a torn meniscus... I said all I know is what the doctors told me in 1974 when I injured the knee,  and what the doctors wrote in my records when I medically retired... she said well I don't think you have a torn meniscus , but you are limited to 80 degrees in movement and that is attributed to arthritis, ( which I was also rated at 10%).. go figure after 45 years a NP tells me my meniscus is not torn... I can see the future.. Appeal will be filed....

There are some conditions that you can get two ratings for  and knee injuries are one of them......but normally they will combine conditions were they can and give one rating....

1 hour ago, Navy89 said:

Thanks for your assistance... From all I have read... My secondary sleep apnea will be a battle from my allergic rhinitis... This one will probably be lawyer worthy

It took me three attempts at the Regional Office level before they secondary connected OSA to PTSD. (I think I read you have PTSD? You can go that route too.)

The battle is well worth it. There are three criteria you have to meet to secondary connect OSA.

#1. Must have a service-connected disability-Your Allergic Rhinitis

#2. Must have a diagnosis for Sleep Apnea. You'll also need your dr. to document that a CPAP is "medically necessary".

#3. Nexus of opinion stating the minimum threshold of "at least as likely as not" Sleep Apnea is due to or the result of your service-connected Allergic Rhinitis.

Here is some medical literature to research:

Allergic Rhinitis&Sleep Apnea.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15056401