VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why would the RO differ sleep apnea?

Rate this question

ShrekTheTank

Question

Who did they defer it to? They may need more documentation. Without knowing the specifics of what you claimed and your decision letter there isn't really any information for us to go on. Was it a secondary claim to something else, or a primary claim? How long have you had it? Was it diagnosed in service or after? What information did you provide at your C/P exam? What did your sleep doc notes say? There is a lot of missing information. 

I can tell you that a primary claim for sleep apnea is really hard unless it was diagnosed in service. I filed a secondary claim about 10 yrs after I got out because i was falling asleep in the car while driving, and my wife had recordings of me stopping breathing in my sleep. I have a lower back nerve injury, among other things, that was eventually tied to my sleep apnea on appeal, but that whole process took about 4 yrs between my initial claim, denial, and appeal. Apnea is one of those things they really look at now- they used to be a lot more lax about it but there was a huge spike in claims several years ago and it was lot easier to get service connected for it. Im not making a statement on whether they were valid claims or not, just noting that with the huge spike the evidence needed to prove a claim got substantially more detailed. I think VA over corrected on the issue due to political pressure from people suggesting that vets were filing for a slam dunk 50% just for the money, but im just illustrating that proving something like sleep apnea being service connected vs. something that just develops over time as one gets older is a lot more difficult now and the evidence hurdle is a lot higher.