VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Parkinsons

Rate this question

Garyy

Question

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Agent Orange claims have been awarded due to AO exposure in many parts of the world-Thailand, Guam, Okinawa, 

and even at Fort Gordon USA. This link has a list of the many places and dates where AO was:

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/locations/tests-storage/index.asp

If you can prove that AO was used anywhere you served, and also can prove that your MOS put you into exposure to it, you would have a valid claim.

Kurt Priessman, hadit member, did so much research that he proved, and helped other vets prove that AO was in Thailand.

He did guard duty on the perimeters of the base.

James Cripps,hadit member ( we did Radio shows with both of these vets) also knew his MOS put him onto the perimeter of Fort Gordon. 

Nothing is impossible. It all takes a LOT of research,however to prove this type of claim.

This BVA case is a remand, not an award , but it gives you an idea of the research needed for claims like this:

"The VA Adjudication Procedure Manual provides procedures for verification of exposure to herbicides in locations other than the Republic of Vietnam, Thailand, or the Demilitarized Zone in Korea. See M21-1, Part IV, Subpart ii, Chapter 1, Section H, 7(a). Specifically, if the Veteran alleges exposure to herbicides in other locations, like Guam, he should be asked for the approximate dates, location, and nature of the alleged exposure. If this information is received, VA should provide the Veteran's detailed description to the Compensation Service via email to request a review of the Department of Defense (DoD) inventory of herbicide operations to determine whether herbicides were used as alleged. If the Compensation Service's review does not confirm that herbicides were used as alleged, and if sufficient information to permit a search by the Joint Services Records Research Center (JSRRC) has been provided, a request for verification of exposure to herbicides should be sent to that entity. In the initial adjudication of this claim, it is unclear if Compensation Service initially requested this information. However, the JSRRC reported there was insufficient information to specifically research the use of Agent Orange in Guam. On review of the record, the Board finds there is sufficient information to request this research from the JSRRC as the Veteran's period of service in Guam is definite, between September 1967 to March 1969. Where a period of time identified by the Veteran is longer than the two month period required by the JSRRC, the duty to assist requires VA to submit multiple 60-day record searches. See Gagne v. McDonald, 27 Vet. App. 397, 403 (2015). Further, the Veteran has provided his own testimony and secondary source evidence from internet articles and prior Board decisions that, while not precedential, are persuasive in their findings that Agent Orange or other pesticides/herbicides were used in Guam during his time in service. The Veteran alleges he was exposed while mending fences near vegetation and travelling to Andersen Airforce Base. In order to adjudicate the claim, the JSRRC must research whether or not herbicides, to include Agent Orange, or pesticides were used in Guam during the Veteran's time on the island. Because Parkinson's disease and IHD are listed among the disease in 38 C.F.R. § 3.309(e), if exposure to herbicides as defined by 38 C.F.R. § 3.307(a)(6) is established, the Veteran's Parkinson's disease and IHD may be presumptively service connected if herbicide exposure is established."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp17/files1/1700622.txt

Blue Water Navy vets just won 2 cases ,one in the House and one in a federal district court-

after 15 years or more, they will finally be awarded for AO presumptives, depending on how far their ship was from the Coast of Vietnam,during the Vietnam War.

Also some C 123 crew men have been awarded AO-searchable info on that in the hadit search feature.

Or Google Wes Carter Agent Orange.

When and where did you serve and what was your MOS?

Edited by Berta

"Also certain medications can cause Parkinsons;

First generation antipsychotics like haloperidol.

Second generation antipsychotics like risperidone. (especially at higher doses)

Lithium and antidepressants like sertraline, fluoxetine.

Tricyclic antidepressants like imipramine.

Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like phenelzine."

Aug 4, 2015

https://www.carelinx.com/blog/medications-may-cause-symptoms-of-parkinsons-disease/

I also read some time ago a BVA decision that awarded Parkinson's , as secondary ,due to the veteran's service connected TBI.

Berta, thanks of the thorough response and information.  I retired in 2001 after 24 years in the Air Force so I missed Vietnam completely by a couple of years.  I have many friends who were there and they are all top notch patriots and brothers.  I did not deploy to the Desert either as I spent many of my military years between Korea, Japan, and Singapore.  I believe I was exposed to some bad chemicals and herbicide exposure while stationed in the Islands of the Azores between 1980-1982.  I have a report that shows they were burning these chemical on one side of the island, but its been so long ago it would be hard to make the connection. 

The official report I have from 2004 reads that, "Until 1994 it was a common solid waste disposal practice for off base an on base residents to to use the waste site and burn everything before bulldozers pushed everything n to the ocean. According to base personnel, various kinds of wastes were disposed of here including sludge from tanks, old, transformers, PCBs, solvents, paints, and asbestos."  "On-site observations during the official site visit confirm this disposal practice.  The surface and the oceans may have been been contaminated with the residues of materials that were burned in the past, such as heavy metals, semivoltile organic compounds, pesticides, and PCBs from transformers."    

This report was accomplished by a government contractor.  In the end the report concludes the levels were not high enough to do damage to people...I believe that is classic Cover Your Ass (CYA) conclusion, and totally false. I am convinced that is were I was exposed and ultimately why I am now and dealing with Parkinsons.  It certainly doesn't equate to Agent Orange or the burn pits in the Desert...but for me I believe that is where I was exposed, and now deal with this diagnosis. The base is on a small island that belongs to the Azores...the island is about 8 miles by 15 miles...I'm sure I am not the only person affected, but making the connection is difficult.  Thanks for your time and information.  Garyy