VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Did you know A Veteran may be eligible for Beneficiary travel

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

Did you know A Veteran may be eligible for Beneficiary travel services if the following criteria are met: (this information located at https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/vtp/beneficiary_travel.asp)

• you have a service-connected (SC) rating of 30 percent or more, or
  • you are traveling for treatment of a SC condition, or
  • you receive a VA pension, or your income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate, or
  • your income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate, or
  • you are traveling for a scheduled compensation or pension

YOU QUALIFY FOR SPECIAL MODE TRANSPORTATION 
(Ambulance, Wheelchair Van etc.) IF:

• you meet one of the eligibility criteria in the left column, and
  • your medical condition requires an ambulance or a specially equipped van as determined by a VA clinician, and
  • the travel is pre-authorized (authorization is not required for emergencies if a delay would be hazardous to life or health)

Just wanted to pass this on in case a veteran was not aware of this benefit.

• HadIt.com Elder

Travel pay starts at 30% s-c, but you have to submit every time; it isn't automatic even if it is for repetitive medical treatment like acupuncture or PT for example. You usually can submit it to any major VA Health Center, but check with them  first. The first 6 trips (going to and from your appointment would count as 2 trips) have a deductible of $3.00 each way, but after $18 there is no additional reduction for the month. They even pay for tolls, etc. DON'T double dip with a buddy and both of you put in for it if you car pool; the VA considers it fraud and it isn't worth it. The reason they provide travel reimbursement is some veterans actually miss appointments because they don't have enough gas money. It happens; I saw it in person.This is one way you could get a buddy to give you transportation. I understand just recently you no longer are mailed the check, but it has to be a direct deposit just like your disability check is. Use form 10-3542 for travel, for requesting the direct deposit use 24-0296 or call 877-838-2778. You need to get the bank's routing and account number. Obviously be accurate.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:42 PM, GBArmy said:

the reason they provide travel reimbursement is some veterans actually miss appointments

That may have been true in the past ( although I doubt it because this was put into law by congress)   by now the great majority are receiving payment 2 - 4 weeks after the appointment via direct deposit which was mandated ......

So basically me driving to my appointments for my treatment five times a month for the past 2 years could have been reimbursed? I only live less then 15 minutes from my VA hospital so I figured I’d be wasting my time but after two years it would start to add up

• HadIt.com Elder
17 minutes ago, jfrei said:

So basically me driving to my appointments for my treatment five times a month for the past 2 years could have been reimbursed? I only live less then 15 minutes from my VA hospital so I figured I’d be wasting my time but after two years it would start to add up

If you have not signed up for travel pay you need to go do so  go to the travel pay office at your VAMC take your Bank statment  or a personal check that has your routing #  and while your at the travel pay office signing up for travel pay  sign up for the direct deposit too

you can have them send a check but the direct deposit is the best way  this is what I do. 

They probably won't re inverse your travel pay back .two years  but next time you go to one of your appointments  any appointment scheduled out for you at the VAM. Do this.

After your appointment check back with the clerks and tell them you get travel pay and they will give you a travel pay voucher to sign and date  then you give it back to them and they submit it at the end of the day  or the next morning 

You can also use the koloski Machine  to request travel pay  some clinics  like you to request the travel pay from them with the clerks, MY MH Clinic does this. 

BUT PCP DENTAL AND SPECIALTY CLINICS I USE THE KOLOSKI MACHINE.

Travel pay is 43/1/2 cents a mile one way...I travel 49 miles although I live 52 miles  they pay to my city but I live 2 miles on the other side of my city...but I take what they give me.  

if a veteran has 5 appointment's per month  that will add up   it would for me but your 15 miles   not much pay there but hey its yours why not file for travel pay.

At the beginning of the month is when travel pay starts for that month  usually the first travel pay check for that month  is when the deduct the co-pay   then the rest of your travel pay should be full payment at 43 1/2 cents per mile.  based on monthly travel pay only  

remember travel pay ends the last day of the month  then you start a new month.

if you want to try to get reinversed for the two years  you need to go see your travel pay director  ask him?   if its allowed he can get that back for you  I am not sure on it.

Unfortunately a lot of vets don't realize that their mileage can be reimbursed. I would definitely ask the travel office to see if you can be reimbursed for the last two years, all they can do is say no.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was told recently that you only have 30 days to submit for reimbursement by the travel folks. I also was told by someone else when I applied for direct deposit for travel pay 2 months ago that the VA was doing away with sending out reimbursement checks directly to the veteran. Don't know if that is in effect yet though.