VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When it rains, it pours ... Adventures of Tbird

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

I maybe a bit slow to respond, but I am here. I just wanted to catch you up what's going on in my world. Life is kind of sucking, but the bright spots are you guys and all my nieces and nephews. Working hard to get back to 100%. It is very stressful.

So last year I had to move out of my house into my nephews house because living alone was not working for me. Rented my house out and moved into my nephews, then I screwed up my knee and can't do the basement stairs at my nephews house, so I had to move to my sisters house. Waiting for an appointment with Ortho the soonest they can see me is June 17 I asked to be sent into the community and they approved it but haven't heard back from them with a appointment. So now I got to get rid of my house because I can't afford it and rent at my sisters. My knee aches all the time and I am using a walker it's a real drag. Doc thinks I may have torn my meniscus but won't know anything to Ortho see me. I also have lymphedema and my legs are swelling something awful which aggravates the knee. I went for an eval for a power wheelchair or a scooter and I am waiting for their response.

• Founder

Ok so the VA turned me down for a scooter reason given Scooters are not granted for pain. But since then I have gone to the orthopedic surgeon through the community care program, he says i'll need a knee replacement in a year or so if the shots work, if not sooner on the right knee. One to five years for the left knee. Osteoarthitis, he wrote me a script for a powerchair and after a hell of a runaround at the va i called triwest who is doing the community care program and she went the extra mile and called around for an hour to find out who needs to get what since they had me in some loop I couldn't get of. She says she got a hold of the person who it needs to go to and what it needs to say, she called the orthosurgeon and told them what it needed to say and who to fax it to. Once the woman at the VA gets it, it will still need to be approved or denied and seems likely to be denied, but i gotta try. Its the knees and the lymphedema in my legs that is causing my mobility issues.

I don't think i will get anything from this but I will try and at least it will be documented. staying at my sisters, still have some of my stuff spread around between places i been staying but they will be coming to me soon. i have my computer and can work on the site but i miss my two external monitors it just makes working so much easier but it shouldn't be long till someone brings them out for me. Now I just have to prepare mentally for letting my house go and hoping that the shots work in knees and my lymphedema doesn't get to much worse.

i'm at my happiest when i work on the site and or play with my littles nieces and nephews and I took up cooking a few years ago which brings me joy. Cooking can't do to much right now cause of my legs, but hanging with the kids and working on the site are my high points.

check out this little video i did of my niece doing a little fishy story, i like to teach myself new things and this was fun, i want to take up astrophotography but got to read up on that. hope you enjoy the video.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms T sorry your getting the run around   try visiting your hospital director THIS IS NOT RIGHT TO BE DENIED A POWER CHAIR

TIP =ITS OK TO BE EMOTIONAL WHEN VISITING THE HOSPITAL DIRECTOR!

I too am at my happiest when on hadit   its' a therapy for me. and keeps me out of trouble....... if I don't start exercising and lose some weight  I'll be needing a power chair sooner than later.

PRAYING THAT THEY GET YOU  THE CHAIR

Buck

I am sorry to hear you are having such problems. I like the video, it is cute. 

It is so crazy that the VA does not consider pain as a reason for a scooter or power chair. Pain does keep us from being mobile. They say pain is not a disability, I disagree for most of us if we did not have the pain we would be more mobile, not have weight issues and have overall better health.

Praying that the VA sees the light and gives you the chair that you so badly need!!

Paul 

• Lead Moderator
2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Ms T sorry your getting the run around   try visiting your hospital director THIS IS NOT RIGHT TO BE DENIED A POWER CHAIR

TIP =ITS OK TO BE EMOTIONAL WHEN VISITING THE HOSPITAL DIRECTOR!

I too am at my happiest when on hadit   its' a therapy for me. and keeps me out of trouble....... if I don't start exercising and lose some weight  I'll be needing a power chair sooner than later.

PRAYING THAT THEY GET YOU  THE CHAIR

Buck

I totally agree with Buck here!  At my last appointment I went into the ugly cry because of a Fibro flare up.  I told her I had no idea the pain could get that bad and just thinking back on the incident I lost it.  After I calmed down I realized after she would have given me anything to stop the pain.  She offered any drug, but I asked for other ways to deal with it and she spent about 45 minutes with me and just pushed other off.  I was very surprised by this, but I would try every avenue and if you get emotional amen!