VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When it rains, it pours ... Adventures of Tbird

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

I maybe a bit slow to respond, but I am here. I just wanted to catch you up what's going on in my world. Life is kind of sucking, but the bright spots are you guys and all my nieces and nephews. Working hard to get back to 100%. It is very stressful.

So last year I had to move out of my house into my nephews house because living alone was not working for me. Rented my house out and moved into my nephews, then I screwed up my knee and can't do the basement stairs at my nephews house, so I had to move to my sisters house. Waiting for an appointment with Ortho the soonest they can see me is June 17 I asked to be sent into the community and they approved it but haven't heard back from them with a appointment. So now I got to get rid of my house because I can't afford it and rent at my sisters. My knee aches all the time and I am using a walker it's a real drag. Doc thinks I may have torn my meniscus but won't know anything to Ortho see me. I also have lymphedema and my legs are swelling something awful which aggravates the knee. I went for an eval for a power wheelchair or a scooter and I am waiting for their response.

• Founder

@Buck52 thank you buck always on my side. I don't have a major problem with them turning me down for a power chair, I only want what I am eligible for and need. Rules are rules and I get that, there are without a doubt more veterans in more severe need than me. If they can help that would be great but if not I will keep documenting my problems and if they get more severe I will apply again.

@shrekthetank1 I did get emotional when I talked to the social worker, I just lost it frustration, pain, fear it all kind of overwhelmed me and she was super nice. They are trying to get me a home health aide and they are trying for a stair glide the guy that came out thought I would be approved for it, but you never know. It would be nice. Getting upstairs and out to the car from the basement has been a challenge. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Tbird, with the utmost respect, you have done a tremendous help for veterans and their families with this site. Your effects have resulted in hope and actual financial gains for countless people. But please don't use the comment "... there are without a doubt more veterans in more severe need than me. " I have to argue with veterans I am helping that it is NOT a money thing with the VA: their budget is $220 Billion this year. If you are in need and have earned a benefit, apply for it. Veterans say all the time, they won't apply because it will take away from someone else more deserving. Nope. In fact, I tell them that if we don't use benefits, not only will they end up eliminating or diminishing them, it will make it harder for the veterans that follow them to get benefits they should get as well.

@Tbird, sometimes you have to do what is best for you.  You have been helping veterans for years and now it is time to take some time and focus on yourself.  I do not know where veterans would get their information without this website.  Stay strong and get the chair, there may be veterans worse off than you but they would be much worse off without this website. 

Semper-Fi

• Founder

Well the shots seemed to have helped somewhat with the knees, though I don't think I will be doing stairs anytime soon. I'm trying to keep my legs wrapped to keep the swelling from lymphedema from getting to bad, my sister is currently wrapping them till I find out if I qualify for a home health aide.

I'm trying to keep my brain in check but it keeps wandering off....

• Founder

good news va approved me for home health aide 7 hours a week and she started today, she was so helpful it's going to be big benefit for me to have that extra help.