VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Choice? Options for Vets who can't drive to hospital...

Rate this topic

Hello,

I posted on here before concerning my husband who is in desperate need to assistance while we work to get his disability increased. He's currently 50%. I'm in another state for my own health issues. He has severe ptsd symptoms that make it where he can't drive to the VA hospital that is 90 minutes away. He's had horrible experiences with the mental health people there... I've heard about Veterans' Choice but most of what I read is negative... and I'm confused. Are there any options for him to see a mental health professional who is in his town and have the VA cover it?

Thank you

Nancy

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As I recall there were many suggestions we posted here in your other thread.

One post stated:

"The DAV there told us they would also REDUCE his current disability which was not comforting.  

I'm unsure what a VSO is. Unless its the same as the DAV people which he saw again in january.  We have till January 2020 to get them all the paperwork we can. "

A VSO, is what used to be NSO-this is someone who has your husband's POA.

Have you contacted them with this problem?

They might know more about Choice....the program is supposed to be changing for the better soon---I dont know how long that will take.

They should be able to put you in contact with any DAV Van in his area,if he choses to go to the VAMC that treated him before- 

Also his county might have  some programs for seniors, such as the Office of the Aging we have here in my county. They try to provide rides to seniors who cannot drive, to medical appointments etc.

This is a rural area - there might be something like that where he lives.I think there might be a fee though- but not sure---

"The DAV there told us they would also REDUCE his current disability which was not comforting."

Why did they say that?

Edited by Berta

Also you can call ( but maybe he would have to call) this # 

. What if I think I am eligible?

• "Call the VCP Call Center at 866-606-8198 or visit the Veterans Choice Program website to verify eligibility and set up an appointment here."
  • This is the only info I have on CHOICE from VA:
  •  Am I eligible for the Veterans Choice Program?

"To be eligible for the program, you must be enrolled in VA health care and must also meet at least one of the following criteria:

• You are told by your local VA medical facility that you will need to wait more than 30 days for an appointment.
  • You residence is more than a 40 mile driving distance from the closest VA medical facility with a full time primary care physician.
  • You need to travel by air, boat, or ferry to the VA medical facility closet to your house.
  • You face an unusual or excessive burden in traveling to the closest VA medical facility based on a geographic challenge, environmental factor, medical condition, or other specific clinical decisions. Staff at your local VA medical facility will work with you to determine if you are eligible for any of these reasons.
  • You reside in a State or a United States Territory without a full-service VA medical facility that provides hospital care, emergency services and surgical care, and reside more than 20 miles from such a VA medical facility. Note: This criterion applies to Veterans residing in Alaska, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Guam, American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Also note that some Veterans in New Hampshire reside within 20 miles of White River Junction VAMC and are therefore not eligible for the Veterans Choice Program."

https://www.va.gov/health/newsfeatures/2017/july/things-to-know-about-the-veteran-choice-program.asp

I just got a Press Release on this program....one part of it goes into effect tomorrow (June 6, 2019)

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5263

I posted the whole release in Claims Research forum.

It seems this is the best way to get your husband into the VAMC he dealt with before-or maybe into a closer facility under CHOICE program.