Jump to content
  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • 0

Would I qualify for SMC-S / housebound?


After my heart attack in early April I have brain fog and am trying to determine if I qualify for SMC-S or housebound. I'm 100% P&T for 10+ years and filed a claim for heart attack at the beginning of May. I am not medically cleared to return to work yet.

Bilateral ratings
20%, 20%, 10%, 10% = 48%

Single ratings
40%, 30%, 30%, 30%, 20%, 10%,  10%,  10%,  10%

Factoring in the bilateral and singles, I calculate 96%

I also have a separate single rating of 60%

I looked up SMC-S laws and found:


38 U.S. Code § 1114. Rates of wartime disability compensation
(s) If the veteran has a service-connected disability rated as total, and
(1) has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent or more, or,
(2) by reason of such veteran’s service-connected disability or disabilities, is permanently housebound, then the monthly compensation shall be $2,993.

For the purpose of this subsection, the requirement of “permanently housebound” will be considered to have been met when the veteran is substantially confined to such veteran’s house (ward or clinical areas, if institutionalized) or immediate premises due to a service-connected disability or disabilities which it is reasonably certain will remain throughout such veteran’s lifetime.


Would I qualify?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

Based on what you posted you do not have one condition rated 100% alone so you would not qualify for housebound unless it was based on the actual need.

If your heart condition was not service connected.. you will not get housebound either... 

Now if it is rated service connected,  you may get housebound back to the date of the claim but only if it is rated 100%.

Housebound can in fact be awarded temporary if you have a temporary 100% rating.. otherwise no it will not happen....

I believe if a veteran is getting 100% compensation but don't have  a 100% sc condition but has a combined ratings  up to the 100%  and another condition 60% say his heart condition  that would qualify him for the SMC-S  H.B.

This would be 100% Plus the other 60% separate.

I was 60% then got a 30%increase to 90%   and then 10%for tinnitus   this was a combined rating of 90%...years later filed for another  s.c. condition and got a 70% rating...they gave me the SMC S H.B. and a 100%  final degree rating.

Edited by Buck52

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I believe if a veteran is getting 100% compensation but don't have  a 100% sc condition but has a combined ratings  up to the 100%  and another condition 60% say his heart condition  that would qualify him for the SMC-S  H.B.

Sorry Buck.. but this isn't correct.... See:

Total plus 60 percent, or housebound; 38 U.S.C. 1114(s). The special monthly compensation provided by 38 U.S.C. 1114(s) is payable where the veteran has a single service-connected disability rated as 100 percent and:

 (1) Has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent, separate and distinct from the 100 percent service-connected disability and involving different anatomical segments or bodily systems, or

 (2) Is permanently housebound by reason of service-connected disability or disabilities. This requirement is met when the veteran is substantially confined as a direct result of service-connected disabilities to his or her dwelling and the immediate premises or, if institutionalized, to the ward or clinical areas, and it is reasonably certain that the disability or disabilities and resultant confinement will continue throughout his or her lifetime.


This also includes those that have TDIU based on one medical issue rated 60%  or more  based on the bradley v Peake rule....


Edited by Richard1954

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

 Your basing your answer on SMC S H.B. Alone.

There's different ways to quailfiy for SMC

The VA will give more benefits for combinations of any of these disabilities (loss of sight and loss of a hand, for example). The amount received in these cases depends on the specific combinations of disabilities. If a veteran has other service-connected disabilities in addition to those described above, an even higher amount of VA Special Monthly Compensation may be considered.

Special Monthly Compensation Housebound Status

Special Monthly Compensation can also be granted for housebound status. If you are unable to leave your home because of your service connected disabilities, you may be entitled to this benefit. You’ll need a letter from your doctor or from friends or family members who can attest that you’re housebound. Being “housebound” also includes being unable to leave your hospital ward or care facility.

To qualify for housebound SMC benefits, you must have at least one disability rated at 100 percent, either schedular or with individual unemployability, with at least one additional, unrelated disability rated at 60 percent or more. yes I agree with you on this.

If you are granted individual unemployability (IU), it must be based on a single disability to qualify for special monthly compensation. If you’ve been granted IU, but haven’t been granted special monthly compensation based on housebound, we can help you request those benefits.

Remember, SMC is given instead of the standard VA disability rates except in special circumstances. The VA Special Monthly Compensation Rates Table defines exactly how much a veteran will receive for SMC.

The VA should automatically grant you SMC if you qualify, but there are cases in which they overlook information and fail to give you the benefits you deserve. Our team of veterans’ law attorneys can help you claim those benefits

Edited by Buck52
took wrong member name off.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Buck52 said:

your basing your answer on SMC S H.B. Alone.

Actually what I did was address the question that was asked... nothing in the original post indicated any thing about loss of sight or loss of a hand... as you put it ... it was a question concerning rules for an award of Housebound SMC S..... 

And there was nothing in the question concerning any other Special Monthly Compensation ( SMC) 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Our picks

    • Permanent and Total from cck-law..com
      1:10 What is Permanent and Total Disability?

      2:05 Conditions that automatically receive a permanent and total rating (P&T)

      2:32 Conditions less likely to receive P&T

      4:29 How to find out if your VA rating is permanent

      6:03 Is there a VA form to apply for Perm and Total status?

      6:39 Viewer Question: If you have permanent and total Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), are you automatically entitled to P&T disability at the VA?

      8:03 If you receive Total Disability for Individual Unemployability (TDIU), are you permanent and total?

      8:26 The advantages of having Permanent and Total VA Disability Other Protections from VA Rating Reductions

      10:26 Stabilized Ratings

      11:26 Continuous Ratings

      12:57 What to do if VA proposes a rating reduction

      16:03 Final Thoughts & Tips


      • 0 replies
    • I filed a claim in october of 2018 for ptsd and TDIU, long story short I tried to do everything myself and didn't have the proper diagnosis so I was service connected for anxiety based on having a medical marijuana card diagnosis for anxiety but the rating was 30% and I much worse off then that. So I obtained a referral from the va to a fancy psychiatrist from the university of north florida's behavior health department and was diagnosed with ptsd, bi polar 1 and panic disorder. I used this new medical evidence as my supplemental claim evidence and filed it April 16, 2019 after receiving my letter March 20, 2019. My claim is now at Pending Decision Approval with an estimated completion date of july 2, 2019 which is super fast from all I have read. My question is, Am I going to be awarded tdiu with the evidence I submitted if they adjust me up to 70% which I think it will . Or if they award 70% for ptsd on this new supplemental claim will i have to re-apply for tdiu again? Or would that all be considered in the final review of the entire claim? Thanks for any help.

      1-22 1BCT 4th I.D. "Regulars by God"
      • 3 replies
    • how do you figure when they will start paying me at the 100% rate, housebound..?  They will start the pay before they finish the back pay?  That would be nice !!
    • Hello:

      If you receive a hysterectomy while you are filing for disability through the VA, will it still count?

      I am out of the military.

      Thank you
      • 1 reply
    • Help needed bad  Male MST
      Is there anything for a man who's been diagnosed with PTSD secondary to MST. I see all this information and it's primarily speaking as if it only happened to females. If anybody has any advice for a man who suffers from this condition please let me know I'm not alone. Also let me know of any coping skills you've learned as I have lived the last 25-30 years of my life in full flight from reality. 
      • 9 replies
  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines