VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bam

Rate this question

Bam

Question

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding a new claim. Let me start by saying I have been out of the military for 28 years. I have been dealing with back problems on and off for years and usually just push through. The last 14 years I have been seeing a chiropractor regularly for Sacroiliitis flare ups. I have had ct and exrays done 20 years ago which shows nothing or unremarkable. During that time I did not even think to connect it to service. I requested my records many times through the years and weren’t able to be found. This past year I finally found them. I was seen 3 times for back issues in the 2 years active. Was then diagnosed with Sacroiliitis. I am currently dealing with a flare up. Since I moved to my current place 14 years ago I have been seeing a chiropractor for the same issues multiple times a year. Is this going to be difficult to prove nexus or because it is in my military records going to be easier. I am not getting any younger. 

4 answers to this question

On 6/9/2019 at 9:59 AM, Bam said:

I was seen 3 times for back issues in the 2 years active. Was then diagnosed with Sacroiliitis.

was this the specific diagnosis? did any of them say Chronic? or just Acute?

Acute means a one off kind of thing. Chronic means more than just acute.

having multiple acute events does not automatically make something chronic but it can mean that.

can you document any related problems in the first few years after discharge?

While you figure this all out I do suggest you open an Intent to File. It will keep the earliest possible award date and you have a year to complete the filing .

14 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

was this the specific diagnosis? did any of them say Chronic? or just Acute?

Acute means a one off kind of thing. Chronic means more than just acute.

having multiple acute events does not automatically make something chronic but it can mean that.

can you document any related problems in the first few years after discharge?

While you figure this all out I do suggest you open an Intent to File. It will keep the earliest possible award date and you have a year to complete the filing .

Every time I was seen for my back it was diagnosed Sacroiliitis. I had numerous flair ups after military u fortunately moving with husband in military I have been trying to find my dependent records to no avail. My only records I have now are chiropractor notes for past 14 years being seen numerous times a year for the same issue. Most times I self medicate or just wait it out with rest. Only extreme flare ups do I seek treatment. 

Everyone is correct file asap! I had a condition s/c I think 15yrs later because it was chronic, in my SMRs and I submitted proof I stayed under Drs care!! Now rated 60%! I still remember VAs request for more info (I wrote in statement) which I had to s/c! Good luck

Edited by Blessed