VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Treatment at VA and VA wont write letter to employer

Rate this topic

So I have been service connected with PTSD, I get treatment at the VA, Ive been going to the VA for 6 months. My job requires a Department of Transportation type physical every two years (its the OPNAV 8020/6).  During the physical I stated that I was service connected with PTSD, and the doctor performing the physical said all they needed was a letter from my doctor saying I can perform the duties and responsibilities of my job and that I am actively being treated for the condition. I go to my VA mental health doctor and they 1. STILL dont recognize my PTSD service connection, and 2. Said they are unable to make a statement on my ability to work or not. 3. They will only say that I am in treatment and I have been active and doing all treatments that are recommended. Now I am trying to get seen by my old private psychologist (whom I havent seen in 6 months) and hope that he will write me a letter. I really cant believe the VA refuses to do this? I just dont know what to do. I can potentially lose my job if I cant get through this physical, I have heard I can talk to a patients advocate at the VA, or I have considered writing my State Senator regarding this. Because at this point Im like what is the point of using VA healthcare?

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you ever filed for PTSD, Etc.? If not, do it. If you are service connected for that specific disability, it is stated on your award letter. They have to make a ruling if you put in a disability claim but they won't before hand. So, if you are rated at say 30%, there has to be rationale why you are rated at that rate. You are are able to do certain things and not other things. If you are going for continuous treatments, you have a right to those records.Take that info and get your previous doc to write the letter based on that finding.

1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

Have you ever filed for PTSD, Etc.? If not, do it. If you are service connected for that specific disability, it is stated on your award letter. They have to make a ruling if you put in a disability claim but they won't before hand. So, if you are rated at say 30%, there has to be rationale why you are rated at that rate. You are are able to do certain things and not other things. If you are going for continuous treatments, you have a right to those records.Take that info and get your previous doc to write the letter based on that finding.

I already filed a claim recieved my decision letter says I am 50% service connected. I printed off all my notes from the VA and took them to my private psychologist Im just getting so anxious because I went from seeing him to the VA and I know hell probably help me out it just sucks learning all this stuff after my physical expires so I have to jump through hoops.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you already have gone thru this disability claim stuff, you know by now that the VA (Benefits) is NOT your friend. They are down right anti-veteran often. I was thinking that if it were me, I would type up a nice letter requesting what you need, make a copy for your self and keep that in a safe place, and then send it registered mail to your RO. The reason I say that is, if the remote possibility that you can't get a letter that supports what your employer needs and you should lose your job, it may help in applying in the future for TDIU. Sending the letter is just a confirmation you requested the VA to HELP you keep your job, and they refused to do so. Might be a nice piece of evidence for you. But it is a little thing that you can do now that can't hurt. And planning for the future, if you are rated 40% for at least one disability (you are), if you have others that can get you to 70%  combined, you could possibly qualify for TDIU. So, do you have anything else that might be pursued as a disability? If so, start working on it.

Use the "teenager" method:  It works.  

If "Mom" says no, ask Dad.  If Dad and mom say no, ask grandparents.  If mom, dad, and grandparents say no, ask your teacher.  If the teacher says no, ask the principal.  

Go to a different doc, maybe in a different VA.  Remember, use the "left hand does not know what the right hand is doing" to your advantage.  

Time after time, when VA employee "a" says no, then employee "b" will often say yes.  

Keep reminding yourself:  They probably dont know what they are doing.  

I was in this catch-22 when the military reported to the DMV that I had seizures.  I went to the VA and they said you do not have seizures.  Therefore I asked them to write a letter to the DMV stating this.  They declined stating that there was evidence in my records stating I had seizures.  Yes, I lost my drivers license.

You are doing what you need to do by seeking civilian help.  Usually, especially if you have seen this dr. before, civilians are more willing to help a vet.  It is a sad fact but the VA is not out there to help you.