VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Treatment at VA and VA wont write letter to employer

Rate this topic

Always remember THIS rule:

When you want someone to do something for you, ask politely first.  Save those arm twisting techniques, at least at first.  You know, things like asking VA to "change your provider" (doctor).  

I have asked Va to change my provider.  Doc's know that a Vet asking for a provider change reflects poorly on them, so use it as a last resort.  Remember, there may not be that many docs available at your VAMC, and you could get one that is worse.  

When I did so, this was apparently a foreign doctor here in USA on some type of a work Visa.  The doc called me and asked my why I requested a change.  I told her the problem.  

I could tell she was close to desperate.  I consented to leave her as my provider, after she promised to "do better".  After that confrontation, I got anything I wanted from that doc.  

So, even the "threat" of changing providers was/is a big deal at least for some of them.  Dont forget, however, be nice first but carry a big stick.  

Well guys, I have some good news like broncovet.  I went to my VA doc for my once a year physical and asked him about a special medication.  The VA sent me to a doctor on the outside who approved the medication, I am still waiting for the decision the VA but just that they did this is an improvement over what we normally get.

I just remembered  where I actually wrote up my request for Aid and attendance,  took it to my primary care doctor, and he actually had the letter copied to VA letter head and signed it. He also completed the examination form... this was in 2007. initially I was awarded Housebound, but appealed and got Aid and Attendance...

I got the idea to write my letter by an article on vawatchdog.org  that Jim Strickland had written... 

I don't know if it would work today.( write a letter for any condition) . but  I don't know why it wouldn't.....

• HadIt.com Elder
16 hours ago, vetquest said:

Well guys, I have some good news like broncovet.  I went to my VA doc for my once a year physical and asked him about a special medication.  The VA sent me to a doctor on the outside who approved the medication, I am still waiting for the decision the VA but just that they did this is an improvement over what we normally get.

vetquest

Just curious ,  this VA Dr could not tell you about his special medication? and the VA Referred you to outside Dr..to explain this medication to you?and  prescribe it?

or the VA don't have this ''special medication''?and they out-sourced you to a private Dr  to be able to get this  special medication?

or maybe I. not understanding this?

I know some times the VA don't have a certain medication that the Veteran may need and get out side source referral.

it seem my VA don't like to use outside referrals grrrr  or  Maybe this  new Mission Act in effect June 6th 2019 is helping out?

I had a outside referral a few years ago for a colonoscopy  because they (VA ) was booked up 3 months in advance and my PCP put in for an outside source  and they called me set it up...which was fine by me  I got it done within a week.

This special medication is AMOVIG.  It works by blocking the calcitonin gene peptide receptor. It has been approved by the FDA last year.  It is expensive.  

I learned about this medication from my civilian doctor.  I am being prescribed by my civilian doctor but if the VA picks up the tab that would be great.  But it is not on the formulary.  I believe they sent me to an outside neurologist because they shut down the neurology department for my hospital.

• HadIt.com Elder

Richard1954

Just my opinion here  but  some  veterans are just blessed with the right Dr's at the right time, most VA Dr's would not do what your Dr did.

Its Good you got the Idea from Jim Strickland he is a great guy.