VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA status changed from TDIU P&T to Schedular P&T

Rate this question

foreveryoung

Question

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

records show you are not unemployable

that is a bizarre statement from VA.

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So from being rated now at 100%, SMC-s is a moot point?

the SMC(s) is not MOOT per se, but you have choices to make as to whether it is worth it too you.

the way your math works out, the path to SMC(s) would be through TDIU. '

Your 100% Schedular rating uses the skin 60% and the feet 50% and the other 40, 10, and 50 to reach 100%

As 100% Schedular you don't have the required extra independent 60% needed to reach SMC(s).

IF you wanted to take it, and you have to decide this, there is a possible path to SMC(s) IF and only IF you get them to reverse and keep you as TDIU and rearrange the numbers so the 60 is not used for the TDIU. That is a lot of IF's and a lot of effort that has unknown consequences.

Your original post expressed interest in getting a Part Time job. As TDIU you can generally only earn about 12K a year (poverty level wages) and can cause yourself grief if you make more than that.

TDIU has to be monitored for income every year.

100% Schedular does not have those limitations.

You must decide if the approx $350 a month for SMC(s) is reason enough to try and get the VA to revert to TDIU.

A part time job (32 hours) at 10 bucks an hour is 320 a week x 52 weeks = $16,640 annual gross which is more than poverty wages.  I don't know what work you might do so you might earn much more, or you could earn less.

You also have to consider that VA compensation is tax free.

I don't know your marital and dependent statuses but a single vet at 100% is paid about 3050 a month or about 37K a year. with SMC(k) there is another 105 a month so about 3,200 totaling about 38K. The additional $350 a month that is $4,200 more a year or about $42K tax free for a single vet without dependents. 12K a year taxed would bring you up to about 52K.

is that math worth it to you? only you can decide that.

I personally live in an area with a minimum wage of 15 an hour, generally, and even full time that is not enough to live on much less part time, so for me that math at those rates would not be useful, but that is me and my situation.

What is clear is that as 100% SCHEDULAR you can make as much money as you are capable of. Can you earn 50 or 60K extra? go for it, your Schedular compensation will not be affected.

good luck on your decision.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not understanding what the OP is wanting?  or his/her question?

as I understand he /she is getting SMC S  And when that happen they made the TDIU P&T MOOT? or gave the veteran  a 100% Scheduler Rating?

If the IU is Moot this veteran can go back to work and still recieve the 100%  tax free payment for compensation , but will need to pay income taxes on what he/she makes from the extra Income. but as I mention I really don't know what the question was?

This is the type thing that happens when they under rate a veteran below the 100% scheduler and make this veteran 90% and use the extra scheduler to get the 100% payment  because his disability % don't add up to the 100% but he is unemployable.........grrrrrr

in my opinion a 90% disabled veteran is just as bad off as a 100%  scheduler veteran that can work if he wanted to  but they (VA) says a 90% veteran can't work due to his 90% disability  makes no sense to me.....so in their rating system  if the veteran receives a 90% rating and  they put this Veteran on IU  (useing the extra scheduler CFR's) the Veteran needs to come up with another service connected condition direct or secondary to an already S.C. Condition  the make the 100% scheduler.

then he can work and provide better for his family.

4 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

as I understand he /she is getting SMC S 

no.

The original post asked about his being shifted from TDIU to Schedular and what effect that had on his ability to work.

In the long long conversation the possibility of SMC(s) came up but it was unclear from the pieces of information he was posting if that was possible.

After a lot of pages and getting the pieces together it turns out that ALL his ratings are needed to meet 100% schedular....there is nothing left over to count towards SMC(S).

IF he tried to get VA to reverse and keep him TDIU so he could get SMC(s) he would have to decide if that 350 a month was worth it instead of getting income from a job under his new schedular rating.

The whole series of posts has had some confusion but I think it is all straightened out now.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think if it was me and was able to work I'd go with the 100%scheduler  that's a no brainier

yes your correct Geeky if they had combined his rating to add up to the 100% scheduler  he can work but not enough to get the SMC-S He will now need an addition 60% 

However if this veterans rating added/combined up to 160% they should have throwed in the SMC  S but the SMC S is a rare rating for more  of disabled a Unemployable  IU veteran , its a statutory rating he could not leave home for work. But he can leave home for work making this IU Moot..this is  why they never refrred the SMC-S. (jmo)

its also for a 100% scheduler Veteran too, if he had a separate condition that added up to 60% or higher  SMC is for every Veteran that qualifies 

Edited by Buck52

Just wanted to provide a followup on the Mission Act for Dental Care I mentioned in this post.

Everything I have read doesn't mention anything about dental care. Well today I received a call from the Chief Dental doctor at the VA Hospital I use. He told me he will allow outside dental care for me, but VA will need to find a provider in my area first that they will approve. We'll see how that goes.