VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus C&P

Rate this question

KC3

Question

I have a C&P for tinnitus tomorrow morning. It started 20 to 25 years ago as occasional ringing and now it is katydids and locusts constant. I have been honorably discharged for 22 years now. Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes 

When you go see the ENT (or Audologist) you need to tell them about this sound in your head and what it sounds like to you  a ringing in the head  or a locust sounds and the sound is of constant  it never goes away and is exceptional worse at night around bedtime this sound is generally classified as TINNITUS  There is no known cause for it but in general it is associated with Hearing loss.

So you may want to request a hearing test be given to you unless you have  been pre tested for your bilateral hearing loss?

ask the Dr if it is possible you lost your hearing from military service being around loud sudden noise such as gun fire Atrillery.  IED's or maybe your MOS you were around loud sudden noise  such as aircraft  or your a combat veteran  ect,,,ect,,, this will cause Noise induced Hearing loss and it happens years later in some veterans more frequent with different veterans  but noise induced hearing loss is caused by loud sudden noise  and unprotected ears  or the ear protection was not adequate enough to save your ear-drums from the loud sudden noise.   once the ear drums have been damage  hearing loss will ocurr over time  any audiologist will agree.

So when you go to the audiologist and you say it started 20-25 years ago, but you've been out for 22 years, the VA will say that there is a 60% likelihood it WAS NOT service connected because the 3 year gap before you went in you got tinnitus. If you know there was an in-service event that caused it, THAT's what caused it, and it falls within the time of your military service. Don't give the VA a reason to deny you. Also, if you have a presumptive MOS (an MOS where they presume you have tinnitus from that occupation) you still need to be prepared for a denial. Because they just want you to go away.

Also, (do) you have to sleep with a fan on or some sort of white noise effect? When it comes to real bad tinnitus, there is nothing more deafening than silence. You can't hear your wife or kids or girlfriend; can you hear your boyfriend (I'm not being a smart aleck- I don't know your gender)? When they speak (do) you have to sort through the pitches and (does) it take you a second to sort through what was said and (do) you have to reorganize it. Maybe despite hearing what people say, (do) you have to ask people to repeat themselves because of the distraction of the noises in your head.

I was in artillery and they still denied be despite the presumptive MOS. But after a quick CUE, it was granted.

Good Luck!

Edited by Sgt. Wilky
add info

• HadIt.com Elder

Even if you don't have a MOS that likely caused your hearing and/or tinnitus issue, as Sgt. Wilky said you need a IMO to show the connection. I had a pretty good personal narrative statement with my claim that said how and how often I was exposed to the noise. It is just a buddy letter written by you; if you write it well, it can work. I didn't need an IMO; won on the first shot. An IMO from your audiologist should work with a dbq.

Let us know how it turns out.

Just had a C&P for Tinnitus too .. Basically Doc just conducted a hearing exam. Though I didn't file for hearing?

In the end, she said I have hearing loss and that's what probably causes the tinnitus.

Will have to see how it goes .. my MOS is listed as moderate...hearing exams in service show slight decline in the high freqs.

Anyway...good luck!

Will do; I took a hearing exam as well and had negative checks for wax and fluid. Didn't tell me anything one way or the other. Hope it works out and Good luck to you as well.