VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

10-10EZ

Rate this question

Al329

Question

Sorry if this is a basic question ....

Just had my first C&P, I must say the people at McGuire were very nice and I though the Doc was great.

But when I went to check in...I was told I needed to fill out a 10-10EZ after my exam. Registration was closing after my exam so they just gave me a hard copy to fill out and fax back.

I figured it would be online..and it is. Issue and my question is, it wants my wifes SSN. Ok shes not American and doesn't have one. Website wont let me skip the SSN...so I'll have to hand jam it and fax it.

So question...anyone file the 10-10EZ as married who has a foreign spouse sans SSN? If this going to be a problem? If I get anything...it wont be over 10% ... so I don't see the need for spouse and family info at this point.

Tks!

Did you get out and stayed in Germany? Are you working on the economy / U.S. Contractor / GS? 

This can affect your VA benefits (after 30%), taxes, Social Security and any benefits your wife is entitled to. As a U.S. Citizen living in Germany you still have to file your U.S. taxes which requires your wife to have a SSN. You may want to contact the American Consulate in Frankfurt at +49 69 75350 to get answers on what are the current rules for living overseas.

If you have base access, you may want to contact the BDD (Benefits Delivery at Discharge) at:

By email at GermanyBDD.vbapit@va.gov, or

In person by going to the office located in building 3724 at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center. It’s open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. You don’t need an appointment. 

You can set up an appointment with the traveling team that visit bases through out Germany. They are in Wiesbaden on Tuesday. They have been very helpful. They have help me with my claims and benefits. 

Hope this points you in the right direction.

15 hours ago, Patton said:

Did you get out and stayed in Germany? Are you working on the economy / U.S. Contractor / GS? 

This can affect your VA benefits (after 30%), taxes, Social Security and any benefits your wife is entitled to. As a U.S. Citizen living in Germany you still have to file your U.S. taxes which requires your wife to have a SSN. You may want to contact the American Consulate in Frankfurt at +49 69 75350 to get answers on what are the current rules for living overseas.

If you have base access, you may want to contact the BDD (Benefits Delivery at Discharge) at:

By email at GermanyBDD.vbapit@va.gov, or

In person by going to the office located in building 3724 at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center. It’s open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. You don’t need an appointment. 

You can set up an appointment with the traveling team that visit bases through out Germany. They are in Wiesbaden on Tuesday. They have been very helpful. They have help me with my claims and benefits. 

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Wow thanks that is helpful information!

Currently GS ... taking new job over in Graf. But any further claims.. I guess I would have to head over to Landsthul to get a C&P ?

Tks

Since you are a GS employee, if your wife does want to be a US Citizen then as long as you will be overseas at least an additional 12 months she could actually become a citizen right away, you and here would have to travel to the US or a US territory to take the oath, but it can be done. 8 CFR 319(b) is the section of law, you can also find it at https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-4. You still have to file all the paper work and it will be worked at the embassy in Germany (USCIS still has an office there). I hope this helps.

9 hours ago, Al329 said:

Wow thanks that is helpful information!

Currently GS ... taking new job over in Graf. But any further claims.. I guess I would have to head over to Landsthul to get a C&P ?

Tks

No Problem. CPAC should be able to help you also. Here in Wiesbaden we have a Passport / ID card office. Has she gotten her Dependent ID Card? The reason I am asking is that I think she needs a SSN for her ID card and they should have helped you getting one.

You never know with the VA. Landstuhl does C&P but it is limited. VES (a Contractor) does a lot of C&P exam over here, and they have traveling teams. Both C&P exams I have had over here has been with VES.

Edited by Patton
wording

2 hours ago, paulstrgn said:

If you have biological kids then they derive citizenship from you, if they are stepchildren then they could also naturalize (providing they are under I believe it is 21 and are not married).

It is really their choice which citizenship they choose. I have 2 daughters that are German Citizens and 2 with U.S. Citizenship.

I have a daughter who graduated high school in Harker Heights, Texas and moved back to Germany. She applied for her German Citizenship. The German system put her through the apprenticeship program and paid for everything and then help placing her in a position that she is really happy in.